PDA

View Full Version : hi, new a bit of help.

862sik
06-12-2006, 01:22 AM
86 300zx non turbo with about 130k.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/accordztech/P1011196.jpg

..notice the scratches

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/accordztech/P1011192.jpg

...notice the hood how the lines are kinds spiderwebbing?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/accordztech/P1011190.jpg

...see my delema?

well my father quite a few years ago decided to take my wool pad, and a rotary buffer to the paint, it came out nice but man it left some things behind.

for the past few years i been detailing this car to get amazing results. i use a craftsman 6`` random orbital buffer and it always came out shinny. LOL i come to this site and now my car looks like crap. i always liked the shine my car got, just like a window but in certain lights it just looks crappy.

im thinking about going with a porter cable so i can get some good results. any feedback in what pads i should get or what kit i should go with will be helpfull.

i always used mequiars line, and i have tried the klassle all in one t hing and i love it but nothing gets rid of these marks, its really annoying and driving me on the verge to a new paint job.

thanks!

imported_Grouse
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
I hear you, I`ve got the same issue with an 01 tahoe with 149k. On a side note. buffing that thumb out is going to be a biatch...

autobahn
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
looks like you just need a little more agressive polish/pad.

:) your paint looks very "savable" :)

if you get really annoyed, I`d suggest finding a local detailer that will be able to make your paint good again :)

862sik
06-12-2006, 09:46 PM
i actually am thinking about doing the work myself, it would definitly help me in the future. kind of a fun project as well.

862sik
06-14-2006, 10:31 AM
http://autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html

i am thinking about that kit. i have been reading on this site and people who had about the same issue as mine. some have found that the orange pad with a certain polish is great, so imma try that with some #82 or #83 mequiars and then #9 #7 and then some top coat like all in one that i have or somethign else.

what you guys think?

s2skimon
06-14-2006, 12:16 PM
optimum compound, polish with Orange pads on a porter cable will do wonders..

862sik
06-15-2006, 02:44 PM
if i use optimum stuff (swirl free polish?) then would i be able to use a pad that comes with that kit?

also is anything compadable to protect the paint once i finish? or just lecture me, haha my eyes are going crosseyed at all the posts here.

Accumulator
06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
862sik- Welcome to Autopia!

I suspect you *will* get better results from the PC than you do with the Sears unit.

For pads I`d get light cutting (two), polishing (three-four), and finishing (two). Why so many, because [stuff] happens and you don`t want to be caught short in the middle of the job.

I can`t remember if the `85 Nissan red was single stage or basecoat/clear :confused:

I`m not a huge fan of Megiur`s polishes, but they can be good, especially on single stage. Heh heh, some people swear *by* Megiuar`s stuff and others swear *at* it ;)

If you want to use their stuff, I`d consider #83 for the aggressive work, then #80. #80 will usually leave a ready-to-wax finish, and it leaves enough "trade secret oils" behind that you won`t really need the #7. If the #80 does *not* leave a ready-to-wax finish on your paint, then I`d probably use the #9, which also leaves plenty of stuff behind so you can go straight to the LSP after that one too.

Note that #80 isn`t as easy to find as some of their offerings, but IMO it`s worth getting.

862sik
06-16-2006, 12:27 AM
thanks for the invite.

im open to suggustions, i tried many things, even klasse`s all in one and their sealant glaze....s100...5 star shine...haha and anything found at the local store.

hehe since im going for near perfection now anything is worth a shot.

i love the shine of this car, but man when i look at other cars here, makes my car look like booty. my shine is a shine but not a clear mirror shine that i want, and thsoe darn scratches are hurting me. Everyone says my car is the cleanest they seen, but thats not ENOUGH!!! haha.

thanks for the advice on pads, never thought of that.

whats the difference between #7 and #82? seems the same?

...if i dont get better results from my PC than my sears one that would be the day i become dumb haha.

...ill be wetsanding too...my car has soo many rock nips, im going to paint into them and then wetsand it out from some DIY on this site or somewhere, haha there is sooooo many.

862sik
06-16-2006, 01:06 AM
i mean #9 the same as #82

862sik
06-16-2006, 01:22 AM
http://scottwax.com/cars/shine/slides/1996_Ferrari_348_frontend.html

http://scottwax.com/cars/shine/slides/1978_M1_fender_VM_CMW.html

...thats the shine i want

Accumulator
06-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Yeah, #9 and #82 are very similar, with #82 being just a little more aggressive. #9 has more oils/etc. and would be my choice for a single stage paint.

If that`s basecoat/clear I don`t think *I* would go the Meguiar`s route, but that`s just me.

Oh, and note that even ScottWax might not`ve been able to get those results on different cars ;) My `84 and `85 cars are *nice* but they`ll never look like that unless I have them repainted. The Ferrari and that M1 had incrediblely high-quality paint to start with, and that does matter.

862sik
06-16-2006, 04:59 PM
The Ferrari and that M1 had incrediblely high-quality paint to start with, and that does matter.

i can dream, but i can try my best to get that result. if i can get that reflective shine that would be great. mine reflects now but its not super clear, its nice but not clear. basically what you saw in the pics is what i see.

...i forgot to mention that my paint was re-painted back in 89 due to an accident, they didnt do that great of a job but its still a ok to great job, haha to you guys upclose it may be a poop job.

...the one thing i dont want to do is start working on the car with PC and to find that i need one other product cause one of mine isnt cutting it. that would suck!

Accumulator
06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
...the one thing i dont want to do is start working on the car with PC and to find that i need one other product cause one of mine isnt cutting it. that would suck!

Well, it wouldn`t suck as badly as trying something too aggressive and trashing the paint ;)

862sik
06-18-2006, 11:36 PM
true, hey im about to order my stuff.

im going to be ordering the 200gram claybar and im thinking of poorboys 2.5 what you think about that, i seen good results with it here. im going to also order another orange pad and a few of the other pads as well.

my paint is really irritating me hehe.