PDA

View Full Version : air powered DA?

sslow2000
06-11-2006, 05:58 PM
I searched and didn`t see much info on using air powered instead of electic DA buffers for detailing.

as it is now, i have a pretty high quality 60 gallon air compressor and was just wondering if i could use an air powered DA since i`ve found them for about half as much money as the pc7424... is there a reason I should not do this? (i`m a beginner if that makes a difference). is there a reason not many people use the air powered tools, or just the fact that not many people have proper compressor setups? are the cheap air DA`s i`ve found at lowe`s etc not high quality enough to bother with? what do you recommend, the pc7424 or another air powered machine? what are the pros/cons of either? thanks for your help!

JasonD
06-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Don`t use the air powered DA. To the best of my knowledge, air powered DA`s have very short strokes, and a much higher rates of speed than something like the PC 7424. I have an air powered DA here in the garage, and wouldn`t use it for anything but sanding.

Stick with the PC, you won`t be sorry.

Scottwax
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
The only automotive air powered polisher I know of is the Dynabrade that GM uses on their assembly lines.

http://www.dynabrade.com/cgi-bin/Auto/10398?atBKTcmQ;;20

JasonD
06-11-2006, 06:26 PM
I just couldn`t even imagine trying to keep an air hose over my shoulder while trying to polish a roof or hood. :nervous:

Teutonics
06-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Griot`s used to offer an air DA, not sure if they still carry it or not...

MrSelfDestruct
06-11-2006, 08:05 PM
We have a Mac (or Snap-On .. I forget) air powered buffer at work... tried it once and said never again! I found it so hard to control compared to the DeWalt rotary... the thing is just too light and the speed adjustment for the air seemed more inaccurate. Ended up putting some halos on the hood so I got out the real machine.

Heres some Mac tools.. they aren`t cheap!

http://mactools.com/ProductsList.aspx?FamilyID=1166

3Dog
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
We use rotary and orbital air buffers here...they are mini buffers using 3 inch pads..all out air hoses have monkey tails on them and we still use carbiners for hose control.

As far as large buffers, CMA has one and gives good info on what you need.

http://properautocare.com/nadexlraorpo.html

sslow2000
06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
haha well i could route the hose to feed from a reel on the ceiling so as not to contact the car.. so that`s not really a problem..

I guess i`ll just break down and buy the 7424 since I`d like to start out with something easy to control and not very easy to screw up... ;) maybe the DA i found was more of a "sander" low quality thing...

that`s all i needed to know! thanks a lot!

the other pc
06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Pneumatic DA, rotary and orbital polishers are used all the time on auto manufacturers’ paint lines. They are the “real machines.â€

Car makers entrust millions of dollars worth of finishes on billions of dollars worth of cars to them. They get the job done quickly, efficiently and, when used correctly, with the highest level of finish quality possible.

Few detailers ever get to use them, let alone use them near their potential. They require proper setup, great amounts of air and somewhat different techniques than electric tools.

Besides requiring serious (read that expensive) air systems to run, the high grade tools themselves are more expensive than their electric cousins.

If you’re serious about industrial power and efficiency contact a sales rep from Dynabrade or National Detroit (who invented the term DA for their pneumatic sander/polishers, by the way).

PC.