PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy`s Wheel Cleaner "Spray & Rinse"

Pages : [1] 2

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Fellow Autopians, I would like your experiences with Poorboy`s wheel cleaner. Also, I want to know if the wheel cleaner bottle has a spray mechanism. Why I ask? From eshine`s website, the pic they have of Poorboy`s wheel cleaner bottle is a normal bottle w/o a spray mechanism. Does that mean I have to purchase my own spray mechanism? Thanks for your times guys. :)

Z K
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71814&highlight=poorboy+spray+rinse

Here`s my little review on it. Mine came with the sprayer. I bought it from autogeek.net

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
ZK, thanks for the response. The results look great. My problem is I have 99` OEM Maxima alloy rims that are extremely dirty from caked on brake dust and other stobborn stains. from over the years. I hope PB S&R can do the job.

msmbb
06-11-2006, 06:00 PM
I just got one from eshine few weeks ago, and it does come with a spray head. I used it on my mom`s `98 M-B C-Class, which has never been properly clean ever. Lots of thick brake dust buildup, and PB performs good, though some brushing work on those mess stayed there for years...

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
msmbb, thanks for the prompt reply. So PB did clean up all the brake dust effectively?

Z K
06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
The spray and rinse got rid of 90% of the brake stuff for me.

My situation is a bit unique because when you go out to the race track and do lots of laps, the brake pads get overheated. The pad material melts, turns into chunks of pad material and gets sprayed all over wheel. So I actually had to go in and scrub off some more stubborn stuck chunks.

On a normal street car this cleaner would probably get all the brake dust off no problem. You should go in with a sealant and reseal the wheels when you are done because this stuff is pretty strong and will strip wax and sealant.

Sherman8r44
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I agree with ZK`s review. But even on street cars, it doesn`t always get everything off without brushing. :( I purchased direct through Poorboy`s and I got a foaming sprayer with it, which really helps the stuff dwell.

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 07:46 PM
All claims of spray and rinse is not 100% guarantee. So, should I spray, let it sit for a few minutes and a little elbow grease w/brush should do the job? I will follow up with Klasses AIO and SG for protection and shine. How many layers of SG should I apply? I was thinking of two layers back to back. I don`t need to wait 24 hours to apply second coat do I? Since it is only for wheels.

Sherman8r44
06-11-2006, 07:54 PM
You will need 24 hours between SG coats for them to bond properly. Depending on the condition of your rims, you may be able to get by with just spraying, letting dwell, rinsing, and getting the rest of the brake dust off while drying.

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Shermann, it`s a 99` Maxima with OEM clearcoat painted alloy rim. In the past I used just normal car soap and elbow grease and sealed it with AIO & SG. Then it was unprotected for 3 years since I am overseas now. Those three years the wheels were neglected. I`ll take before and after photos of the rims to see the results when I clean them. That will be early July when I get back home to Toronto.

Sherman8r44
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
If the car didn`t get used much for those 3 years, you should be fine just spraying and rinsing. Interested to see the befores/afters. :)

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Shermann, the car was used for the three years I was overseas. Cleaning was just the basic car shampoo. No sealants for protection. I`m interested myself to see how the wheels` condition now. I`ll post them when I detail the cars. I have two cars to detail when I get back. :woohoo:

RCBuddha
06-11-2006, 08:48 PM
All claims of spray and rinse is not 100% guarantee. So, should I spray, let it sit for a few minutes and a little elbow grease w/brush should do the job? I will follow up with Klasses AIO and SG for protection and shine. How many layers of SG should I apply? I was thinking of two layers back to back. I don`t need to wait 24 hours to apply second coat do I? Since it is only for wheels.

Sounds like a good plan, just be sure not to let it dwell too long on the wheels to minimize the possibility of etching.

fcnghkkc
06-11-2006, 09:41 PM
I`ll try my best to bring it back to respectable levels. The 05` Accord should be easier since it`s only been 8 months since purchase. :)

gmblack3
06-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I always have great results with PB SnR. Hose off the wheels first. They spray SnR on each wheel, make sure you use enough to get 100% coverage. Let it sit for about 3-4 mins. Then spray off with direct stream of water. Then I fan the water out to make sure I get it all rinsed off. It gets all the dust off of the wifes BMW 740, which has stock pads that dust very bad.

The only time I did not get 100% of the brake dust off was on my Z06. After a track event where I used PFC01 pads (they have the worst dust) SnR got 90% of that dust off. I could not complain.