PDA

View Full Version : toutch up 123

slippy
06-11-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi, has anyone used the toutch up 123 kit to repair chips and scratches, and what was your verdict on it`s performance. thanks in advance, william.

wannafbody
06-11-2006, 12:54 PM
I`ve used it and it works fairly well on deep scratches or big chips. It provides mediocer results on small chips.

Joshua312
06-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I just used it today on my whole hood, front bumper, and mirrors...made them 90% undetectable. Made it so I could actually take looking at my front bumper and not throw up. If you are debating whether to get it...do it - for $30 its the best money I have invested into my car. My camera cord is broken right now and I have another one on the way and I will post pictures. I love the stuff, it works especially good on road rash.

marko
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I`ve tried it as well. it`s phase one of three of this season`s edition of my ongoing chip project. I`ve covered the entire front end and am pleased so far but haven`t had time to make a second pass. (can`t seem to stay in town long enough to make it past phase one.)

every year I consider the potential for disastrous results from whatever potentially harmful fix I`m considering - sort of a cost / benefit ratio of a repaint versus, let`s say... something like last year`s wetsanding project. (or was that the year before last...) cost may be the wrong word, perhaps I should restate as weighing the possibility of success v the probability of failure (freak out factor) v wouldn`t I simply repaint the hood and bumper covers anyway (contingency) v my preference to repair it myself and spend time playing with a car (therapy)? in my mind, you have to go into anything invasive with the realization that the most effective almost always carries the largest margin for error, and of course some damage, whether from the initial damage or from the repair, simply can`t be corrected without a repaint. wetsanding has served me well, but it`s not the long-term, season after season answer for keeping cars as long as I do in colorado.

so this is one of the non-invasive alternatives. it`s certainly no silver bullet, but it really takes the edge off road rashed and chiped areas to the extent that my eye isn`t instantly drawn to flaws, which is all I was really looking for it to do. my first pass alone was well worth the thirty bucks, and I have every reason to think my second pass will be more effective than the first. if true, I`ll be keeping this stuff around.

fyi: this year I`m using 123 for rash treatment, langka for larger chips, and wetsanding where necessary for any remaining problem areas.

ps - has anyone tried something like vm in place of the ftc included in the kit? I used the ftc fairly liberally on my initial session and will likely exhaust my bottle for my second pass. thought I`d ask before I smear this stuff all over my paint again.

Joshua312
06-11-2006, 03:55 PM
ps - has anyone tried something like vm in place of the ftc included in the kit? I used the ftc fairly liberally on my initial session and will likely exhaust my bottle for my second pass. thought I`d ask before I smear this stuff all over my paint again.

I agree, the FTC goes fast...Im sure the VM would work fine? I`ll try tonight on remaining chips and report back if VM works or Prime

MorBid
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
I`ve used it and it works fairly well on deep scratches or big chips. It provides mediocer results on small chips.

I agree there. I`ve never been able to get it to do the road rash thing, but as wannafbody says it does work well on deep scratches and bigger chips.

But as with any touch-up product, techinque is everything

legionofdoom
06-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Would it work on something like this?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/3340/img0857small4zv.jpg

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8590/img0862small1sv.jpg

74 thing
06-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Can you provide a link to this product? Thanks

Five Star
06-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Would it work on something like this?

nope, that needs to be sprayed

MorBid
06-12-2006, 10:30 PM
Can you provide a link to this product? Thanks

Here ya go Touchup123 (http://www.touchup123.com/)

MorBid
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
legionofdoom:

If might make some of the scratches less noticeable, but as already stated you need some bodywork and a repaint for those areas.

2002 Maxima SE
07-08-2006, 02:04 PM
legionofdoom:

If might make some of the scratches less noticeable, but as already stated you need some bodywork and a repaint for those areas.

Does anyone have any real pics (not the touchup123`s advertising)?

gtppilot
05-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Does anyone have any real pics (not the touchup123`s advertising)?

So far I am happy with this stuff.

My `06 Fusion pics (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gtppilot/sets/72157618299796747/)

wannafbody
05-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Depends on the type of defect your working on. On deep chips it should work. On small road rash it probably won`t work well.

gtppilot
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Good point. It worked well on all the pitted road rash which was my goal. Thin scratches that just barely expose primer didn`t improve dramatically. Same thing with small impacts on the bumper cover where the paint more spiderwebbed and created a little blotch than chipped and fell off were also not dramatically improved. The overall appearance of the damaged area is night and day better though!!