PDA

View Full Version : Blur in black paint?

clnfrk
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
My brother in law recently put a small scratch in his black Porsche 911 (new model) with the hose while he was washing it. The scratch was about 1/4 inch long. Not very noticeable at all and not very deep either. After using the PC with an orange pad and Poorboys SSR 2.5, I noticed a slight blur in the paint. I started to get a little worried. After following that up with SSR 1 and a blue pad, I didn`t see the blur anymore at that time.

After applying UPP to the entire car, I went to check on the area where the scratch was. Once again I saw the blur, but this time it was alot less pronounced than the first time. After applying various polishes, the blur was becoming more pronounced and was growing bigger! Did I burn through the clearcoat? Somebody please help!

RAG
06-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Difficult one to explian via text. However, I would say that it is very obvious when you`ve gone through the clear, like there is no mistaking it. The edge of the discoloration spot is very pronounced, and the change in color is obvious. Howerver, with a PC and SSR 2.5, you`d have to polish like 15-20 times (several passes each time) before you`d go through the clear. Did you get really crazy on that spot where the blur is?

Also, if you polish with SSR1 and a soft polishing pad (not the orange), the blur (or cloudiness) should go away.

Can you get any good pictures of it?