PDA

View Full Version : Lots of scratch marks, help?

dalepearson
06-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Guys hope you can help. I got my new car at the beginning of the week, and after cleaning it today and looking in the sun, I can see what I can only describe as someone has washed parts with a rough sponge or sorts.

I have a PC, but have never used it for anything other than waxing and light polishing.

I have Megs #80, PB 1.5 (I think) and some scratch X.

Any help suggestions on what to do, this makes me so sad.

http://www.blackpole.eclipse.co.uk/scratching.jpg

imported_steveo3002
06-10-2006, 02:30 PM
hit it with some #80 on a polishing pad...firm pressure on the machine head , and do small areas at a time

its takes a little practice to get the technique right, maybe spend some time reading up on it first, theres some good how to`s on autopia`s home and on meguiarsonline

* edit just noticed you own a audi, try the #80 but you might need #83...they have hard paint :(

dalepearson
06-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Steveo,

so what would the process need to be. Its really only the bonet that seems to have the bad sratching.

Wash bonet, then do I need to clay, then apply the #80, buff off and if needed repeat? Do I use the Sonus Orange pad for this? Then after the #80, should I use AIO, sealant, P21S, Megs #16.

I have never dealt with anything like this before as I have never had a car with this sort of scratching.

Also what do you think the chances or sorting this, or do I run the risk of making it worse?

dalepearson
06-10-2006, 02:57 PM
I guess actually its probably best to use the softest pad I have initially, and change pads according to the results.

Fingers crossed. Might have a go tomorrow, if not wait until next weekend.

Accumulator
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Unless the clear on your A3 is somehow different from that on all the (12+) Audis we`ve had, it`s gonna be very hard. Sorry they messed it up so badly.

Assuming it`s like the clear on my Audis, the #80 won`t be enough to correct it and no, you won`t run any real risk of making it worse.

The only way I can do correction on Audis with a PC is to use 4" pads. They`re much more aggressive than the usual 6.5" pads that are so common. But you`ll still need something more aggressive than the #80 to really get it nice.

Unfortunately the products I prefer are out of production and getting hard to find. Anyhow, they`re 3M PI-III RC (05933) and PI-III MG (05937). Many passes with the 05933 and then a follow-up with the 05937.

In the absence of the above, I`d recommend you look into the polishes from 1Z, they`re very user-friendly and IMO that`s important as you`re gonna have a big job ahead of you. Their Paint Polish might be aggressive enough, but you might even need their Extra Polish. Follow the Paint Polish with their MetallicPolishWax.

There are a lot of good choices you can use instead of the above, but I`d rather recommend stuff that I know (from first-hand experience) has worked well on Audis for me and others (including people who aren`t really into detailing).

I wouldn`t plan on using the Klasse twins or any other sealant approach. Just not likely that you`ll get that black Audi paint as good as you`d need to for a sealant to look that good so I`d stick with a carnauba approach like the #16. It lasts a long time and you`ll *love* the beading.

Sorry if the above sounds negative, but I`ve been dealing with Audi clear since the early `90s and it`s quite a challenge.

Oh, and claying is advisable but not necessarily mandatory.

One other thought: if there`s any chance the hood/bonnet was repainted that could change things drastically. If that was the case, I`d begin by having a serious discussion with the dealership.

AL-53
06-10-2006, 04:10 PM
What Accumulator said is good info...I PM him yesterday about a product from 3M..it is new..to me any ways..it is called 3M SCR...I got a sample from a body shop to try out...it is made for hard scratch resistant clear coats...and Audi paint fits that title...I went to the 3M site to find info on it ..but just a picture...I read the bottle at the shop...and it states for newer hard finished clear coats...

It gave different ways to used it....from a refinish to a new car...this product may help you..may not...as said new to me..and I have not tried it yet....cost is 29.95 a quart...

go to a Audi body shop and ask them if you could buy a little of it..if they have it...to try on your paint..they may just give you some..never know....or go to a 3M dealer and buy some...

dalepearson
06-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

I am not sure what to do, part of me thinks I just need to try and forget its there.

Just for clarity, could someone define the term pass. Is it as it sounds, multiple passes = pc the mark many times?

I may have a go with the #80 and see if it does anything, if it cant do any harm then I guess nothing to lose.

Accumulator
06-11-2006, 09:58 AM
#80 will make things a lot better (with a few "passes", see below) and this stuff is only as important as *you* want it to be ;) Use it until you`re tired of doing it and top with wax.

A "pass" is a single application. Apply the #80, work it until it starts to get transparent/clear, buff off. That`s one pass. You`ll have to do *multiple* applications like this because your paint is hard.

dalepearson
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Many Many thanks guys. Its hard to see for normal people, but anal people like ourselves will always see it if we want to. I will see how I go, and then maybe have a go one weekend when its not to hot.

So Humid here at the moment, soon pass though, then its back to rainy UK.