PDA

View Full Version : ssr2.5 + 3m waffle = 0

dtailmycar
06-10-2006, 09:19 AM
GuYS I`ve been a loyal reader for last couple of months. My car is and 1986 saab 900 and was resprayed completedly(white) 3 years ago, using 2 stage paint. I`ve been trying to removed some swirls and scratches but they just don`t. My process was ssr2.5 with a 3m waffle compounding pad on pc starting at speed 3 all the way up to 6. I used some pressure and made slow over passes. At th end everything kept the same, what really pisses me off since I know how good of a results you guys have had using this same process/products. My question is what may be possible reasons for this to happen....

SpoiledMan
06-10-2006, 09:25 AM
What size pad are you using? Also, what color is the pad?

JasonD
06-10-2006, 09:48 AM
I don`t know if I`m correct in saying this, but here`s my thought. The waffle type pads are intended for rotary use in order to keep the temps. in check. When used on a PC (where temps are not an issue), they actually hurt more than help. You don`t have enough pad actually touching the surface to create the needed friction, which in turn creates heat, which all results in the needed tools for paint correction. I`m thinking get a new set of pads. Anyone else think this?

SpoiledMan
06-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Jason what I`m thinking is that it`s a 7-8 inch pad that`s just plain too big for a PC. He could probably make something happen with a smaller pad of the waffle type. Doesn`t Edge make such a pad for the PC?

JasonD
06-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Very good point. I didn`t realize the 3M pads were 7-8 inches. I actually have a set of 7.5" pads here that I bought years ago, not knowing any better, and hate them. I find the smaller 6-6.5" pads much better, and 4" pads to be awesome for specific spots.

The question still remains, does the waffle design hurt, help, or do nothing?? I don`t know.

Here`s the link to the Edge waffle pads. I can see how they would really help on a rotary, but on a PC??

http://www.edgepads.com/wave.htm

SpoiledMan
06-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Other than being expensive as all I don`t know what, I didn`t/don`t have a problem with the waffles. Want to part with them?

As far as how effective they are with a PC? Only good marketing can decide that.;)

JasonD
06-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Other than being expensive as all I don`t know what, I didn`t/don`t have a problem with the waffles. Want to part with them?

Are you asking *me* this? If so, I don`t have waffles. My 7.5" pads that I was referring to, are the "constant pressure" type.

As far as how effective they are with a PC? Only good marketing can decide that. :secret Unfortunately, this is so very true.

As a conclusion to the original topic. I am thinking a new set of pads are in order. Smaller ones specifically, and make sure you get a couple each of the cutting and polishing pads. You *should* be able to pull everything out using SSR2.5 with a cutting pad, and at the bare minimum at least see a difference.

SpoiledMan
06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Are you asking *me* this? If so, I don`t have waffles. My 7.5" pads that I was referring to, are the "constant pressure" type.

Understood.:)

:secret Unfortunately, this is so very true.

Sad but true.

As a conclusion to the original topic. I am thinking a new set of pads are in order. Smaller ones specifically, and make sure you get a couple each of the cutting and polishing pads. You *should* be able to pull everything out using SSR2.5 with a cutting pad, and at the bare minimum at least see a difference.

Agreed. Make sure to follow with a lighter/finer polish and check your work with a 50:50 wipe down.

Alfisti
06-10-2006, 07:58 PM
using 2 stage paint. I`ve been trying to removed some swirls and scratches but they just don`t.

Does this mean that its clear-coated. If it is, what the others have said should work fine.

If its a solid white, you`re going to have trouble. :(

JasonD
06-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Does this mean that its clear-coated. If it is, what the others have said should work fine.

If its a solid white, you`re going to have trouble. :(

Yeah, I just assumed he meant bc/cc when he said 2-stage.