PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for layer of dust

JMV
06-09-2006, 10:30 PM
so, i got my car looking quite nice with zaino, partly because i wanted to and partly because lots of family was coming to town for my sisters wedding. Well, her rehearsal dinner tonight was at a place with a long unpaved driveway, and it left a nice layer of white dust on my car. Would it be safe to wipe down the car with Z6 and a MF towel, or would it require a full wash?? I`m asking because the wedding is tomorrow and i don`t have time for a full wash, and i`m talking to the former owner for the first time in many many years (he`s a cousin), and i want him to be impressed with the way it looks.

Thanks,

Jason

natebood
06-09-2006, 10:40 PM
I think you`d be fine so long as it`s not a really thick layer of dust. Also, I`d use the plushest MF you have. Otherwise, if you`re comfortable using the CCD, you could go that route.

afroman
06-09-2006, 10:53 PM
yea, you should be fine with a QD and a microfiber. my car gets coated with thick layers of pollen quite frequently and i`ve never added any swirls using a QD instead of a full wash.

JMV
06-10-2006, 11:07 AM
well, the only MF towels i have are the yellow supremes from exceldetail.com... i dunno if those would be okay, and i dunno how exactly to define it as a thick or thin layer of dust.... :/

MrSelfDestruct
06-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I would just gently wipe it with MF cloth, making sure to flip it if it`s dirty so that it doesn`t drag the dirt along the paint.

If you`re using Zaino it should be hard enough that it woun`t do anything to the finish.

Ed Fisher
06-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Depends how courageous you are. I would dare not to dust off a thick layer. And when I talk of using the Cali Duster or an MF and QD, it is an almost invisible layer of dust; that kind which almost all of the people say "hey it is clean" but filthy from our point of view...

I would have hosed it down first and then QDD

Ed Fisher
06-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Depends how courageous you are. I would dare not to dust off a thick layer. And when I talk of using the Cali Duster or an MF and QD, it is an almost invisible layer of dust; that kind which almost all of the people say "hey it is clean" but filthy from our point of view...

I would have hosed it down first and then QD and MF wipe it down... Humor me if you wish but I am a bit too "chicken hearted" when it comes to taking chances...

Accumulator
06-10-2006, 02:29 PM
I`ll take Murat`s postion a bit farther, and basically give the other-side-of-the-coin answer:

I never touch a car except when I wash it, with the exception of bird bombs that might etch the paint. Dust is just part of life in the real world; when my vehicles are dirty enough I wash them, until then I accept stuff like dust (and I watch that it doesn`t get rubbed into the paint). And I haven`t had to polish out any marring for a long, long time ;)

Envious Eric
06-10-2006, 04:02 PM
if you do QD, use lots of towels and lots of QD to make sure....

JMV
06-10-2006, 09:51 PM
damn, well, i wish you guys had spoken just a little sooner. Its too late now. I made sure to use the QD liberally.... :/ well, i hadn`t polished it before anyway, so i guess it could be worse.

Ed Fisher
06-10-2006, 09:55 PM
I`ll take Murat`s postion a bit farther, and basically give the other-side-of-the-coin answer:

I never touch a car except when I wash it, with the exception of bird bombs that might etch the paint. Dust is just part of life in the real world; when my vehicles are dirty enough I wash them, until then I accept stuff like dust (and I watch that it doesn`t get rubbed into the paint). And I haven`t had to polish out any marring for a long, long time ;)

Good good good... :goodjob

But how do you resist the urge to clean up when you see the dust or imperfection on your car ? I go nuts until I get rid of it.

I guess I have this weird obsession that the dirt may adhere and bond on the car not to go for ever !! How many people do you know to stop the car in the middle of the road to QD and wipe away the bug splatter which just happened ?

I once was driving alongside this lake late in the afternoon when I ran into this swarm of mosquitos. The car is silver and smeared with blood and mosquitos... I stop, QD and get back on to find my arms and legs all bitten and itchy... :lol

Eh, I`ll never do that again...

SenojNW
06-10-2006, 10:08 PM
What about QEW? I don`t use QEW as a wash alternative but I find it great for taking off light dust as I never feel comfortable just using QD spray. I use a WhiteMax modified technique and spray each panel liberally with a QEW/QD/water mix, have a rinse bucket and QEW bucket, one QEW MF and keep folding after each pass to reveal a clean surface. Once I have no clean surfaces left I rinse in the rinse bucket and then back in the QEW and start again. I usually do each panel twice before I dry with a Waffle Weave MF.

Not brave enough to use QEW for a full wash but I find it works great as a QD alternative.