PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested/excited about the World Cup?

Pages : [1] 2

JaCkaL829
06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
As the title says anyone excited or interested in the Fifa World Cup? I know I am, and I`m going to try to watch as many games as possible. Not that I really follow soccer, or sports for that matter, but I think its a really cool event with a cool history. Outside of the US this is what people have been looking forward to the past 4 years. I just caught the opening game today (Germany vs. Costa Rica) and it was pretty good, some really nice goals we`re scored. I`m really hoping US can advance pretty far, although they`re in the same group as Italy so i`m torn :nixweiss

Just curious as to how you guys feel about the World Cup? It doesn`t seem like it`s getting much attention, I`ve only seen a handful of commericals, and a couple specials on ESPN2. :o

imported_flatstick
06-11-2006, 09:19 AM
As the title says anyone excited or interested in the Fifa World Cup? I know I am, and I`m going to try to watch as many games as possible. Not that I really follow soccer, or sports for that matter, but I think its a really cool event with a cool history. Outside of the US this is what people have been looking forward to the past 4 years. I just caught the opening game today (Germany vs. Costa Rica) and it was pretty good, some really nice goals we`re scored. I`m really hoping US can advance pretty far, although they`re in the same group as Italy so i`m torn :nixweiss

Just curious as to how you guys feel about the World Cup? It doesn`t seem like it`s getting much attention, I`ve only seen a handful of commericals, and a couple specials on ESPN2. :o

When I can find the time I will watch a few matches. for some reason is has not caught on like in the rest of the world. something about the foot eye combo just does not seem to interest our youth as much. by that I mean in other countries the kids take to " juggling the football " like our kids seem to show interest at hand eye sports such as baseball, football and basketball , to name a few. when I was younger soccer was not even near as popular in the US as it is today. when I use to play, there were only one or two leagues but now there are a lot more. I am glad to see the US team doing better and hope that will lead to more people following the sport. as far as watching on tv I feel that the low scoring nature lends some people to not want to watch it. have to admit I miss the good ole days of that perfect pass and bending one around the post , in the upper corner where the diving goalie can not reach it :D

Scottwax
06-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I have no interest in soccer, if I want to see low scoring sporting events, I`ll watch Eastern Conference NBA games. :LOLOL

Like with golf, I can appreciate the skill but I find it painfully boring to watch.

JaCkaL829
06-11-2006, 05:15 PM
I agree the games can be a little boring without scoring or nice saves, but I don`t always think of "scoring" as an indicator of how "good" a game is. That goes for most televised sports IMO.

On a similiar note a majority of this world cup`s games have been pretty action packed games, with a decent amount of scoring. I think theres only been one tie out of all the games that we`re played so far.

imported_flatstick
06-12-2006, 08:29 AM
I have no interest in soccer, if I want to see low scoring sporting events, I`ll watch Eastern Conference NBA games. :LOLOL

Like with golf, I can appreciate the skill but I find it painfully boring to watch.

You bring up a good question. are you more likely to watch something becaue you are involved in that sport ? I golf so watching it does not bore me. watching Nascar or indy does not do it for me. I understand the guys and gals have skill but does not do anything for me. good thing we have so many sports to watch so we can pick and choose :heelclick

Scottwax
06-12-2006, 04:45 PM
You bring up a good question. are you more likely to watch something becaue you are involved in that sport ? I golf so watching it does not bore me. watching Nascar or indy does not do it for me. I understand the guys and gals have skill but does not do anything for me. good thing we have so many sports to watch so we can pick and choose :heelclick

I bowl but I hate to watch it. I play baseball and love to watch it. I absolutely suck at basketball but love watching it. :nixweiss

Tasty
06-12-2006, 05:21 PM
There is no other sport besides soccer that is truly the "world`s sport". It is the ONLY game where you will see countries like Ghana or Togo fielding teams. Doesn`t mean they`re gonna win, but when the champ is finally decided they are truly the world champion. Unlike the NBA or NFL and on and on. The "World Champs" of a sport played only in the USA. I have always hated that.

JaCkaL829
06-12-2006, 05:49 PM
There is no other sport besides soccer that is truly the "world`s sport". It is the ONLY game where you will see countries like Ghana or Togo fielding teams. Doesn`t mean they`re gonna win, but when the champ is finally decided they are truly the world champion. Unlike the NBA or NFL and on and on. The "World Champs" of a sport played only in the USA. I have always hated that.

:werd:

For all the money the MLB makes I didn`t think the USA team would do so bad in the American Classic this past spring :rolleyes: :bolt

Too bad the Yanks didn`t have much luck today either, Czech Republic really destroyed any hope of USA going far this World Cup.

At least Italy and Argentina are doing well :bigups

Tasty
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Italy looked strong. Can`t believe there were no goals in that France Switzerland match today! Looking forward to Brazil`s first game.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
You know Im not soccer guy but I have been watching, its been fun. The South Korea game today was quite good. One of many to come questions, why do they let the clock run after the 90 mins is up?

imported_Detailing Technology
06-13-2006, 11:44 AM
no interest - I work with a bunch of european guys that tell me I dont like it because Americans cant be number 1. Size doesnt matter in soccer.

Tasty
06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
You know Im not soccer guy but I have been watching, its been fun. The South Korea game today was quite good. One of many to come questions, why do they let the clock run after the 90 mins is up?

The official will add in the time that elapses when he stops the clock when the guys roll around grabbing their shins. Any kind of stoppage time is added on at the end of the halves.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 12:56 PM
The official will add in the time that elapses when he stops the clock when the guys roll around grabbing their shins. Any kind of stoppage time is added on at the end of the halves.

Interesting I always thought that it just kept on running

JaCkaL829
06-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Geez I wish I knew spanish so I can watch the games on Telemundo. The US announcers are terrible and the whole Brazil game they kissed Brazil`s @$$.

I just watched the pre-show and the game, and the whole pre-show all they we`re doing was talking about how great Brazil is and all the records they hold. They we`re mainly focusing on Ronaldinho and how fantastic he is. To be honest I`m not a fan of Brazil, heck I`d rather anyone but Brazil win; but I will give them credit for some of the clips and highlights I watched during the pre-show. They really do play great soccer which is obvious by their records and history.The announcers really built up this Brazil team up to no tommorow.

The thing that annoys me is Brazil didn`t play that great today, even their superstars didn`t do to much special, and Ronaldo even got taken out with people booing him. I`m not blaming the players, but the fact that the US announcers continued to praise Brazil during the whole game, and didn`t give Croatia any credit, which they played a really good game. It`s as if the announcers had a "script" to read off the entire 90 minutes of how great Brazil is, while totally disregarding the other team.

-Lebowski-
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Geez I wish I knew spanish so I can watch the games on Telemundo. The US announcers are terrible and the whole Brazil game they kissed Brazil`s @$$.

I just watched the pre-show and the game, and the whole pre-show all they we`re doing was talking about how great Brazil is and all the records they hold. They we`re mainly focusing on Ronaldinho and how fantastic he is. To be honest I`m not a fan of Brazil, heck I`d rather anyone but Brazil win; but I will give them credit for some of the clips and highlights I watched during the pre-show. They really do play great soccer which is obvious by their records and history.The announcers really built up this Brazil team up to no tommorow.

The thing that annoys me is Brazil didn`t play that great today, even their superstars didn`t do to much special, and Ronaldo even got taken out with people booing him. I`m not blaming the players, but the fact that the US announcers continued to praise Brazil during the whole game, and didn`t give Croatia any credit, which they played a really good game. It`s as if the announcers had a "script" to read off the entire 90 minutes of how great Brazil is, while totally disregarding the other team.

Yeah I noticed that as well. Another question, when does the world cup go through? How many games does each team play to get out of the 1st round 2nd round ect ect