PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!! suggest sealant for dark paint

ashsarna
06-09-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi all, I have been away from the forum for almost three years. I have been having fun with all the products I had horded, new baby girl, and all that great stuff. But now need to replenish myself;-), and see what is new. LOL, I have read the forum for a bit and am confused!!!

What would you all suggest for dark color cars (deep metallic red, black) that gives me the following:

durability

the slick /wet look

deep watery look

I am looking primarily for sealants as now time is a premium. I have read great things about Jeff`s goodies, FK ect but are they good on dark colors? I want a carnuba-like look but with durability(most important). I have used Zaino, AIO, PB EX(current fave with AIO) in the past, but, is there something new/different/can I say better? that I should try?

Thanks all :thx

Wasatch
06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
The Werstatt twins will look really good on dark colors, also CMW will look very nice.

imported_Amused
06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Menzerna FMJ...tad expensive, but I think it fits your criteria.

RTexasF
06-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Of the sealants I have used Wolfgang is the hands down winner and offers what you are looking for on dark paint. As a bonus it`s very easy to work with too.

Glossy McGlosserton
06-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I just used Z-PC and Z-2 Pro for the first time. Used Z-2 Pro with ZFX, clayed first. While I liked Z-2 previously, this combo was more "wax-like", in that the shine was wetter and richer. I have a white Civic, and to see a difference with white says that there was a real improvement in the product, I think.

I used to agree that Z-2 was too reflective in a plastic sort of way to really show off deep colors and their richness (just my opinion). Now I think the Zaino system is as good for deep colors as for lighter ones. Especially for someone who prizes durability and ease of application, I would check out the "new" Z-2 Pro.

The Z-PC was pretty good, too. I think it contributed to the smooth luster, and no additional wash is needed before Z-2 Pro application. But worked by hand, it left acid rain etching and swirl marks. My car lives outside year round in North Carolina, where acid rain is pretty bad. You may want to check out the Menzerna polishes if you need more oomph than the Z-PC`s got. Applied with a PC, the Z-PC may have more correction power.

Glossy McGlosserton
06-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh, one more thing: my experience was that the Wolfgang durability was very poor. I know others have a different opinion on this. I tried it early on, and maybe they have changed the formulation. One wash, a couple of rains, and about three weeks after application, there was little beading or other indication that it was still there and protective. :nixweiss

With Zaino, it seems to just keep on going for several months, and I like that durability. If I reapply within the month, I want it to be for the fun of layering protection and shine, not because the protection is gone.

wannafbody
06-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I think Z5Pro might be what your looking for

JasonD
06-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Of the sealants I have used Wolfgang is the hands down winner and offers what you are looking for on dark paint. As a bonus it`s very easy to work with too.

:werd: :bigups

s2skimon
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
for dark paint .. I normally go with a proper compound prep like Optimum > Ex-P > Natty`s blue

a.k.a. Patrick
06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Oh, one more thing: my experience was that the Wolfgang durability was very poor. Thats why I gave mine away..........

Four Star UPP, without hesitation......

ashsarna
06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
WOW, great suggestions so far!!!

Fujifast, Menzerna FMJ is one that I have to research a bit more on. I admit, I have heard of it but never looked into it.

RTexasF, JDookie and Sherri Zann,

I have some wolfgang and this thing is WET for sure. I have to agree with Sherri Zann. Maybe it`s just me but I don`t seem to get the durability out of it compared to EX (I think I got maybe 2-3 mths). Sherri, you may be right about the formulation as my WG is from over 2 years ago. I will look into Zpro line again, but want to do it by hand and not the PC.

tumbler, yeah great combo, but was wondering how long does the natty blue last (being a paste and all)? Any idea if it holds up better than souveran and S100?

a.k.a. Patrick, UPP, now that brings back some memories :xyxthumbs . How is the durability?

gben
06-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Some really good suggestions so far to which I might add CG`s M Seal Micro Finish Factory Paint Sealant. It will leave a deep wet look that you don`t normally associate with sealants and really does make your darker colors look stunning :cool: + gives you uv protection and should last for months. I just started using it and can attest to the shine and wet look of it and I`ll let you know about durability in the coming months. Used it on two of the family`s 4 cars both black.

wannafbody
06-09-2006, 08:48 PM
another inexpensive combo would be Mothers reflections and Duragloss Aquawax