PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs to freshen up S100

jocman
06-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Been lurking for a while, and I must say that I am addicted to this forum and learning about all of the techniques needed to maintain the appearance of a beautiful car.

I have a brilliant black A4 that I clayed, applied an coat of AIO, and sealed with two coats of S100. I couldn`t be more pleased with the outcome. My paint looks brand new. My question is: What should I use in between waxing (I know about S100 durability issues) to keep the wax looking great? Should I use a QD or a spray wax (such as Mothers Reflection)?

I am open to both OTC and boutique brands. Throw some thoughts my way. Thanks.

JasonD
06-08-2006, 04:35 PM
A good carnauba based qd would keep things nice. Also, waxes don`t last very long, so bi-weekly applications aren`t all that uncommon. Some even re-wax every week.

jocman
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the response. Do you have any brands in mind? Would Mcquiers do? I wash once a week with Gold Class and plan to wax once a month.

JasonD
06-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I`m sure Meguiars makes a product that would work fine over your wax, but my personal favorite is made by Sonus. They make separate qd`s, one for sealants and one for waxes. This just happens to be *my* favorite, but like I said, I`m sure there are a lot more out there that do just as well.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-210.html

Envious Eric
06-08-2006, 11:26 PM
i wax once a month with a carnuba - PS....I wash and use megs #34 final inspection every week and my paint still shines.....stays smoother between waxes too

I have heard good things about clearkote quickshine, meguiars quick detailer, and final inspection....I got the 34 because it was the cheapest and most cost effective for what I use it for...a gallon is only about 25 bucks versus 38 for clearkote plus shipping....

Alfisti
06-09-2006, 06:14 AM
How often you plan to rewax will determine what to use.

InfamousDX
06-09-2006, 07:04 AM
I`m actually in the same situation except I use SG in between the AIO and S100.

If I were to rewash every in 2 weeks, would I just wax with S100 again or would I use SG and then S100?

Hey, Moe!
06-09-2006, 07:06 AM
The Sonus Carnauba Spritz is a good choice. I am currently using FK1 #425, and like it, as well.

When I am looking to apply a new coat of wax, I will clay with a mild clay first. The Sonus green clay works great for this.

imported_Larry A
06-09-2006, 07:18 AM
If you want to go otc then try some of these, Eagle One Wipe n Shine , Mothers FX , Turtle Platinum spray detailer , Duragloss Aquawax , Meguiars Final Inspection , and Eagle One Nano Spray Wax.

BobD
06-09-2006, 07:35 AM
I agree that for carnauba I would use a carnauba quick detailer to keep it looking good. I have been very happy with Four Star Professional Spray Wax Plus.

Glossmaster
06-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Pinnacle Crystal Mist would be a fine choice, as it contains a bit of carnauba. However, I`m finding that using a combo of FK FX-100 & FK #425 extends the durability of carnaubas & really adds to the "liquid shimmer" that quality carnaubas are known for.

sWISHbrade
06-09-2006, 08:11 AM
Dont forget to shortlist the JW Carnauba Gloss as well. :2thumbs:

racingbeat
06-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Limit the number of waxings you do to your car. The less you touch the paint the longer it will look swril free. If you want to reapply the S100 completely make sure the car is CLEAN. Never wax a car that hasn`t been washed and personally I always clay before waxing or polishing.

Once the car is clean apply a Carnauba spritz to the paint surface so that you have lubrication for the applicator pad to glide over the paint. Spray some onto your towel as well.

Then follow up with a clean buffing towel.

If you don`t want to wax the car again and have just washed it, then I would use FK 425 as well.

Only a little bit of that product makes the car super smooth to the touch. I think a Carnauba gloss like Werkstatt or Sonus together with a final pass of FK 425 is an excellent combination.

Lots of shine and slickness without having to rubb all over the paint. Takes just a few minutes.

Accumulator
06-09-2006, 08:58 AM
I`m actually in the same situation except I use SG in between the AIO and S100.

If I were to rewash every in 2 weeks, would I just wax with S100 again or would I use SG and then S100?

Just the S100. Now that you`ve put wax over the KSG, I wouldn`t apply *more* KSG unless you first strip things down via AIO. KSG doesn`t stick to wax.