PDA

View Full Version : Wax over Seealant, or vice-versa?

blackf0rk
06-07-2006, 07:57 PM
It seems to me the majority put wax over their sealant (whatever that may be). However, I`ve also heard of people putting wax on first, and then putting the sealant on.

If you`re putting on the sealant first, what are you sealing in? It makes more sense to me to put the sealant on after wax.

Any thought on this process(s)

-Lebowski-
06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Sealant then wax

Glaze then wax.

You are sealing all the prep work that you just did. Filling in the poures of the clear

-Lebowski-
06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
You are sealing all the prep work that you just did. Filling in the poures of the clear

chompies
06-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Chances are your sealant will contain solvents. So if you put it on after the wax, it will remove the wax.

JasonD
06-07-2006, 08:53 PM
The sealant is the more durable of the two products, thus is the reason why sealants are mostly used these days. The reason most still use wax is to achieve a deep, rich, look that can`t always be attained with a sealant alone.

That being said, sealants need a good, clean base to bond to, and if there is wax on the surface, it won`t bond correctly, and will result in less than desired performance, both in looks and durability.

Bottom line, always do your prep first, then apply sealants, then waxes.

the0ne
06-07-2006, 10:14 PM
basically: compound(s) : sealant : wax(s)

SVR
06-08-2006, 02:48 AM
Level, polish, enhance then seal and wax

Synthetic sealers are stronger than natural wax so yes you could strip the wax off

imported_smprince1
06-08-2006, 04:21 AM
Sealants actually bond to the paint surface and need a clean surface, so putting wax down first would interfere with proper bonding of the sealant to the paint.

Waxes just lay on top of the paint, kind of like spreading frosting on a cake. They don`t need to bond so you can apply them over sealant with no adverse affects.

victory
06-08-2006, 08:43 AM
It depends what you use, i`ve done glaze, collinite, aquawax with success which some would say is *** backwards (sealant over wax), but it works for some reason with those products. In most cases though, wax over sealants.

imported_Surfer
06-08-2006, 10:36 AM
It depends what you use, i`ve done glaze, collinite, aquawax with success which some would say is *** backwards (sealant over wax), but it works for some reason with those products. In most cases though, wax over sealants.Aquawax seems to be the only sealant that can go over a wax and also improve the looks and durability. I can`t wait to try some over my Natty`s Blue after seeing pics on here of it over Natty`s.

MrSelfDestruct
06-10-2006, 07:47 AM
can you do sealant, glaze (such as the 3M stuff), then wax?

Also does applying glaze over sealant by machine remove any of the sealant?

I`m just not sure how glaze fits in between a sealant and a wax... aside from the fact that it doesn`t really leave any mess when removing.

jdhutchin
06-10-2006, 08:03 AM
The glaze probably has cleaners and mild abrasives that will take out the sealant, so no, you don`t glaze over a sealant. You usually use a glaze when you`re just using a wax without a sealant- it gives the wax a better look, but if you`re using a sealant, it sometimes performs the same function.

MrSelfDestruct
06-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Hmm i see...

Another question- how long does a glaze last compared to sealant? What is a glaze`s main purpose then? For show, or durablity? I use CarBrite Competition glaze by machine and get really nice results. The cars sit outside on the lot and it seems to last a while..

JasonD
06-10-2006, 09:54 AM
The glaze probably has cleaners and mild abrasives that will take out the sealant, so no, you don`t glaze over a sealant. You usually use a glaze when you`re just using a wax without a sealant- it gives the wax a better look, but if you`re using a sealant, it sometimes performs the same function.

Exactly

Hmm i see...

Another question- how long does a glaze last compared to sealant? What is a glaze`s main purpose then? For show, or durablity? I use CarBrite Competition glaze by machine and get really nice results. The cars sit outside on the lot and it seems to last a while..Glazes and waxes don`t last nearly as long as sealants, and, because of this, are used by people that either, want looks alone without durability (show type situations), or are fine with applying a coat of wax every week or two. Some actually find this therapeutic :waxing:. Glazes make cars look great, by filling in all the defects, but they will eventually come back when the glaze wears off.

That being said, most sealants don`t do much in the way of being able to hide defects, so a more intensive polish session is usually in order to remove all those defects before application.

Ed Fisher
06-10-2006, 12:42 PM
But there are some products which claim they seal the gloss and the instructions tell you to polish and wax first...

Turtle Wax Gloss Shield, Rex Something Wachs say so for two examples. They are both waterlike stuff and seemingly water based since I did not get a solventish smell when I checked them out at the stands where the demo guys apply it to the painted car parts ...