PDA

View Full Version : Brand new method of defect check

Ed Fisher
06-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I discovered a brand new method of seeing defects, blemishes and flaws :

This morning at 6:00, I went down to our apartment`s lot to QD. I had to wear my sunglasses because the sun was real bright and at that hour of the morning at a sharp angle.

All of a sudden I noticed that a part I wet sanded and coated looked dull as tough all clearcoat was gone. :soscared: I panicked and removed my glasses to take a closer look. It was perfect !! I put the glasses back on and the defect is there !

It all of a sudden struck me : :think2 my sunglasses are of polaroid type (Carrera) and they are meant to polarise light ! After this occured to me, I did a walk around to see with my glasses on. I spotted a few more webs and swirls which I never saw with bare eyes !! I double checked each by looking with and without the glasses. The sunglasses SHOW defects !!!

Man ! I should be awarded the Gold Autopian Medal fıor this discovery !!!

Go try for yourselves but prepare for a sinking heart and wrenched stomach... That mirrorlike finish appears like crap under strong sunlight and the polaroid glasses !!!

EMazda3S
06-07-2006, 01:21 AM
I`m too afraid to do this. I fear what I`ll find....

I still can`t get gas at night because the lights show too much... more than the halogens or anything I have all used together. I see the defects under the lights at the gas station and then when I look for them to remove at home, I can`t find them. I just know the general area. Maybe I should use the polarized sunglasses but I`d kind of be afraid to use the PC with the glasses on for fear of not seeing every little detail of what I am doing. And a rotary....no way. Just can`t win. I`ll just settle for being blinded by the light and try to live in my blissful ignorance. :D

Ed Fisher
06-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Too late ! The discovery is done and Pandora`s box opened :sadpace: :nervous2: :(

01bluecls
06-07-2006, 12:00 PM
For some reason I have a different expierence with this method. I have a pair of polarized ray bans and I feel I see more defects in direct sunlight with the bare eyes than with the glasses. It prolly has something to do that the glasses (polarized reduces overall glare) but I think it reduces the reflections of light from some swirls ultimately reducing the visibility of the defects. i will have to try again sometime.

imported_Picus
06-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Good lord, now not only will I be looking at my car carrying a 500W halogen inches from the surface, but I`ll be doing it in special sunglasses. As if my neighbors didn`t alrwady think I was a nut. :D

Ed Fisher
06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Good lord, now not only will I be looking at my car carrying a 500W halogen inches from the surface, but I`ll be doing it in special sunglasses. As if my neighbors didn`t alrwady think I was a nut. :D

:rofl They called ambulances several times for me... You should try it; the guys come on you saying "easy now easy, we` re not gonna hurt you, we`re gonna take you to a place where you can detail lots and lots of cars" When I ask what that straight jacket is for, they tell me it`s an apron so I won`t mess my nice clothes... :rofl

imported_hooked
06-07-2006, 12:32 PM
I wonder what would be revealed if you looked at your car under Halogen with those polarized glasses that you wear when viewing an IMAX 3D movie??? ;)

Ed Fisher
06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
I` d probably :faint: and :hairpull

Ed Fisher
06-07-2006, 12:41 PM
:rofl Let` s also try looking at it with a telescope. Gonna tell my daughter to lend me her National Geographic Junior Scientist telescope. If it helps, I will go rent the National Observatory` s telescope with that some 10 ft wide mirror !! The next step is to go to the university and ask for permission to use their electrone microscobe... :rofl

WSUcommuter
06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
I`ve been equipped with "Super Sight" for over a year now... first time I looked at my onyx black Chevy Truck it scared me :nervous2:

aenergi
06-07-2006, 03:36 PM
yeah, I`ve been doing this for a while now as well. I can be quite scary, but generally helps to provide for a better finished product. :thumbsup:

_d