PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a mask?

metal
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
Just wondering how many of you use a type of mask while polishing, such as those little white painter ones that cover your nose and mouth with the small strap. Is it really necessary to use these; is the dusting from some polishes toxic or just an inconvenience?

imported_themightytimmah
06-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Nah, I`d feel super goofy in it, like one of those "Hot Zone" guys. Also, I try to stay away from polishes that dust, theyre probably a respritory irritant, but more importantly they take forever to clean up after.

SpoiledMan
06-06-2006, 05:02 PM
Some days I think I would pass out from the additional heat.

MechWarrior
06-06-2006, 05:59 PM
Who told you need a mask, you don`t ? Now if you are spraying paint / primers, then that`s a different story, then you do need one, & eye protection too.

twitch
06-06-2006, 06:24 PM
It is probably a great idea to use a mask with certain products. I know I`ve read threads on this board where it was highly suggested especially with some of the 3M compounds.

I`ve never used a mask when polishing though. Sometimes I think I should but when it`s 90 degrees with 100% humidity it would be pretty rough.

imported_MCA
06-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Nope on the mask for polishing...however, I do use one when I break out the aggressive wheel cleaners.

imported_Amused
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
not often, but i should more regularly, especially when i use pure PG on high roofs. i bought a bunch of masks after playing with the SSR line a while back. thankfully i only use low to no dusting products now: the Optimum line, PG(w/ a touch of OCP), and PO85RD.

Capt. Paintball
06-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Now that I am using 3M compounds on a regular basis, I am going to use a 3M mask! I hear the aluminum oxide and silicas are not the best thing to breathe in. I am also going to wear rubber gloves as often as possible when detailing, too. I have read the MSDS reports on my stuff, and I am thinking about the future. I see some guys who practically bathe in lacquer thinner, and I wonder what 20 years of chemical exposure does to thier livers, knowwhutamean?

areaseven
06-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Come to think of it, I have a lucha libre mask somewhere in storage. Maybe I should put it on before polishing my car. :grinno: