PDA

View Full Version : Best combination on red Audi?

Suurje
06-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone!

I have 2003/2004 bright red Audi A3. The car is in a good shape because of Meq`s and Zaino,

but now I want try something new. My last detail process was with Meq`s cleaner, 3 coats of NXT and topped with #26, which I usually add in every two weeks. I`m happy with the results, but I want try different products to see how they work.

The only thing that bothers me in my car is... surprise surprise, swirls. Not much of them, but

still noticeable. I haven`t learned how to use PC or rotary, so I have to do everything by hand, and that will be a problem in removing swirls, especially because of Audi`s hard clear coat.

So I need an advise and tips what products to use to get the best results. All I care is the looks of car, durability isn`t that important for me, because I tend to add a layer of my favourite wax every 2 or 3 weeks.

One thing is for sure, that I want to try Pinnacle Souveran, but before that, i`m not so sure. How about WG`s Pre Wax Polish, then WG`s Deep Gloss followed by Souveran?

Please, give me some advices and tell me about your own preferences which combination would look best in my car.

Oh, and sorry for my bad english ;)

imported_themightytimmah
06-06-2006, 06:24 AM
You`re just not going to get a good hand swirl removal on clearcoat that hard. However, you can hide the swirls very effectively, try One Grand`s Omega Glaze its about the heaviest one I`ve found. Top it with Souveran, and the car will look great.

rotts4u
06-06-2006, 07:49 AM
I have a nearly new jar of Pinnacle Soverign paste that I will make you a deal on if interested. It does work great on Red just not as durable as I need on my Red daily driver truck.

Don

motojournalism@aol.com

Sarcazmo
06-06-2006, 08:01 AM
You could try some Clearkote RMG before the Souveran. It worked great on my friends truck.

imported_dafowl1
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Use Meg. scratch X but you are going to have to use alot of elbow grease. really work it in well. maybe 3 apps. It may not get rid of all the swirls but you will notice a difference.

Accumulator
06-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, correcting an Audi by hand will be very, very tough, don`t underestimate how difficult it will be or how long it`ll take. I wouldn`t even *think* of trying for a perfectly marring-free finish. After the first 6-8 hours you`ll probably be OK with settling for just "much better" ;)

If I *had* to do an Audi by hand (and I don`t even like to do ours with the PC) I`d use 1Z products. Ultra/Extra on the worst marring, Paint Polish on the whole thing, *maybe* MetallicPolishWax after that (but I doubt I`d bother). Use the Souveran after that.

I`ve removed fingernail scratches from behind the doorhandles of our Audis by hand. Took a long, long time but I got it out. I just wonder how many people would expend that kind of time and effort.

IMO the ease-of-use of the 1Z products (specifically when working by hard pait by hand) makes it well worth ordering them. I can`t think of any OTC/more readily available products that`d work nearly as well.

Buying a PC (or better yet a Cyclo) would be a very good idea. Heh heh, Audis oughta come with one in the trunk as standard equipment :D

Z06_Pilot
06-09-2006, 03:11 PM
I can relate to your Audi issue regarding paint, as our red Boxster S is particular.

Regarding your conceren about not learning to use PC`s yet. I bought a Porter Cable 7424, never used one in my life. Read the Autopia detailing guide regarding PC`s. Random orbitals are dummy proof. really. their random orbital nature prevents any burning of the paint.

I`ve been using one now for about 3 years, and the results are just stunning. You should consider getting one. very simple to use.

when we bought the Boxster, it had swirls out the wazoo. I used Pinnacle swirl remover with my PC. Then put on Wolfgangs Deep Gloss paint sealant for the UV and environmental protection. Then topped it off with Souveran paste.

This way, I can go back and re-apply the Souveran every month or so, knowing the paint is fully protected. Plus, I can put it on and take it off inside 30 minutes.

good luck!

Suurje
06-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Thank you for the answers! Well, I bought myself a Rupes LH 18E circular polisher, my first machine ever, and it turned out to be very good. I tried it yesturday with Meg`s #80 with W-8006 pad (our local store sell meguiar`s only) and got very good results for a first-time user. Under the sunlight car looks nearly flawless, with no holograms in it. Under the garage light, there`s still few swirls left, but I have to do another process to get all the swirls out, because I was very cautious about using that machine.

Then I went to #20 with W-9006 pad and topped it with #26 by hand. Looks good :shocked

Pictures later...

Accumulator
06-11-2006, 09:38 AM
The #80/8006 combination is a great starting point :xyxthumbs Glad it`s looking good.

Suurje
06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I have also a question about Zaino Z8 and how does it work with NXT or #26? I`m planning to

get one and I was just wondering if it`s good stuff with NXT or does it work with Zaino only?