PDA

View Full Version : So I`m getting a Rebel XT

SpoiledMan
06-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Title says it all. What should I get for the basics outside of the kit?

imported_Jeremiah
06-06-2006, 01:50 AM
A 2nd one, and send it my way :) . But in all seriousness, congratulations!! I`ve been trying to convince my wife I NEED one for my business. She seems to think that it`s not a need... What does she know. The one piece of advice I can give is get the best glass your wallet will allow, good glass makes all the difference (my 35mm slr body was like $150 but one lens was well over $500). Good luck and post lots of pictures when you get it. :xyxthumbs

SpoiledMan
06-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Funny!:D The first time I mentioned it she laughed like I hadn`t never spent a buck on her.:rofl I know what you mean about the "glass" as my Minolta SLR has some nice glass but it`s a rather large zoom (70-210) and I have to be a good distance from the kids just to get a head shot. I plan to get a "normal" lens for that as well as a nice zoomer for the XT.

BoxsterCharlie
06-06-2006, 06:42 AM
Get some fast primes for it! They make a couple great 50mm primes in f/1.8 (cheap!) and f/1.4 (outrageously fast). Those make perfect portrait lenses, a little long with the crop factor but still good.

SpoiledMan
06-06-2006, 07:07 AM
Charlie, are you talking about the ~$70 lens that it the hotness on Amazon?

Sarcazmo
06-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Title says it all. What should I get for the basics outside of the kit?

I`d recommend some photoshop books. These will really help yo unlock the beauty of the pictures this camera can take.

Also, I`m sure you`ll want a more powerful flash as well.

Enjoy your new camera!

SpoiledMan
06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
I`m a Photoshop CS user so I`ll look into some books today while I have some free time. Yeah, a flash is going to be on the short list as well as a battery grip. Anyone have any knowledge of the "Starter Kit" that is available for the Rebel? Any filter recommendations?

Sarcazmo
06-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Ah, another CS user. I`d highly recommend any of Scott Kelby`s books. I have the Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers and it`s been amazing.

JaCkaL829
06-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Congrats Chris, going with Canon is a wise move, they are pretty much the leader in photography, although they`ll suck your wallet dry :laugh:

Now all you need to do is to buy my lens...lol ;) Are you just buying the body or you going with the kit lens? If you don`t go with the kit lens and aren`t interested in my lens I can recommend you some other good lenses. I`m looking to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 prime that everyone raves about for $80 on B&H soon, you might want to consider that since it`s the cheapest you`ll ever see a Canon lens. Other basics you might want to consider is a decent bag, a 1 gig CF card (get a fast one), UV filter, circular polarizer filter and maybe a simple lens cleaning kit. Your also going to want to get a sensor cleaner, I plan on getting the Giottos Rocket Air blower which I`ve read really good things about too. The rest of the stuff; flashes, tripod, more lenses additional batteries and CF cards are nice to have but not necessary and can be purchased at a later time.

I`ve been studying and reviewing lots of lenses and other equipment (mainly Canon) for my Rebel XT so if you have any questions let me know, I`ll try to answer them. I actually plan on ordering this week from B&H my 50mm prime as well as my first "L" glass, the 70-200mm f/4L :woot2: along with a couple other "toys".

Once you start looking at the prices of good glass, especially "L" glass you`ll see how photography is way more expensive than detailing :soscared: :bolt

One more thing, I`ve been reading Canon is really bad with rebates (i.e. they don`t send them out) so keep track of when you send yours out and make sure you have all the required info. I`m probably going to call them next week to see the status of my rebate.

SpoiledMan
06-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the advice John! I`ve been eyeing that lens from Amazon where it`s less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B00007E7JU/102-9357387-0836134?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sort=quality&index=0&page=11#gallery

holland_patrick
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the advice John! I`ve been eyeing that lens from Amazon where it`s less expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-images/B00007E7JU/102-9357387-0836134?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sort=quality&index=0&page=11#gallery

Ya less expensive but I got to hold mine in mine had and use it before leaving the store.. Plus that B&H goodness MAN it`s cammera heaven..(also they will have a ton of used stuff)

Go to your libray there have been a few good articals about the different settings on the XT..

get the 50 1.8 i got it it`s great.. (DOF sucks when your not used to it. you can really screw up photots with it)

next is a nice wide they all make it and I just read about them.. for 200 more you can get the canan 10-22 which they say is better..

after that.. just get l lenses in your range don`t cheep out you`ll get your mony back if you don`t like it they hold thier value well.

IS on a lens with give you 2 stops hand held ...which is nice.. but 2.8f stop is nice also..

which i round out my lenses i`m going with the 2.8`s rather then the 4 and IS but i`m sure i`ll have an IS lens sooner or later..

POTN is your friend..

JaCkaL829
06-06-2006, 07:25 PM
What lenses do you have now Patrick? Did you add more?