PDA

View Full Version : Trim...wax...bah

Corey Bit Spank
06-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Apparently I got wax on some trim. It was a BMW E46 and he powdercoated the trim. I forgot my blue tape so I was careful, but apparently not careful enough.

And it`s bad, or so I`m told, around the sunroof. The material is kind of like felt around the sunroof. A terrible design, but none the less--white.

Now it`s been a month since I detailed it. I know it`s awfully strange that I`m hearing about it now, but meh, what should I use? The wax would have been Prime, so I can imagine...probably not that terrific to get off.

:)

buzzb
06-05-2006, 11:28 AM
AIO works well on light stains (always test a small spot) and I`ve had fantastic results with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (less than $1) on tough, white, ugly, set in wax stains on textured trim (along the bottom of my wife`s Honda for years). Just wet the eraser sponge with water and wipe/rub lightly. You`ll need to put on some type of protectant afterwards or wipe off residue with a damp microfiber. Hope this helps!

joyriiide1113
06-05-2006, 11:34 AM
The material used on the outer areas of the sunroof is a pian to clean. But it can be done. Some apc with a tooth brush takes it right off...

AL-53
06-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Corey..I have used Citrus Blast to take off wax residue and works very good....I used it with a fingernail cleaner brush...not to stiff but not to limp...just right ...

on a side note...on Jeffs page...it states ...While not suitable for porous and rough plastic, Prime will not stain trim. Excess should be wiped off immediately, though.

Make sure he did not dabble with some wax and create this and wants you to fix it....

Hope all works out for you

Al

stilez
06-05-2006, 12:14 PM
IPA cut 50/50.

I had the same problem, too. It will take all of 30 seconds for the whole sunroof.

Corey Bit Spank
06-25-2006, 08:42 AM
So I dug into the situation.

He used Turtle Wax ICE after I did his car. It`s claim to fame being that it doesn`t turn trim white. I`m thinking that it may be one of those things that are only sort-of, kind-of true. Any wax that I have used that claims that has failed the test. Some miserably, some slightly so.

So, the person keeps asking me HOW i would do it and not WHEN i would fix it. I would have been more than happy to help somebody when they ask for it, but if somebody is going to be sneaky about it I really have zero respect and it`s not a customer I would want to keep at any cost.

imported_steveo3002
06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
i have the felt sunroof seal on my car....what i do to clean it is wet the car as per usual while washing it..then use a small blob of car shampoo and a narrow brush(megs do a good one) to scrub at the felt trim

S Brake
06-25-2006, 08:58 AM
3M wax and adhesive remover with a brush followed by some vinyl/rubber ptotectant to restore the shine has always worked for me. I`m interested to try out the magic eraser though.