PDA

View Full Version : I think I`ve officially moved to the Optimum side

s2skimon
06-05-2006, 10:44 AM
This is more of a rant than anything else..

Past weekend I had to hit swirled black GM paint and we all know how "hard" it is..

Orange Pad with Mez Power Gloss on rotary w/ two passes at 1500 did minimal reduction but threw more dust than I could ever imagine even with a misted pad. :hairpull

2nd Orange Pad with DACP on rotary w/ two passes at 1500 helped, but again the dust was simply too much too handle. :hairpull

3rd orange pad with Optimum Hyper , rotary w/ 1500 reduced , but the swirls are still present upon close inspection under appropriate lighting condition. I had a bit of sling, but NO dusting.

I finally gave up at this point and simply finished the "compounding stage" with a white pad and Meg`s 80. Again, it reduced significantly, but still present upon close inspection.

I should have finished with Optimum 50/50 as the m80 did not leave as nice finish as I`d hoped for either.

As a result of my past weekend`s results, I`ve officially moved over to Optimum side as having to deal with a large amount of dusting elongated my detail. I could have simply used that time "breaking down the optimum." heh heh

There is no longer room in my cabinet for Mez PG nor DACP. I may go as high as m80 with meg`s but that`s it as it doesn`t dust.

Optimum Hyper , Compound/Polish have now re-instated into my line up, and have officially replaced my Meg`s line.

Kudos to Optimum. :bow

imported_Amused
06-05-2006, 11:40 AM
I have yet to compare OHC to PG with my rotary, but I totally understand your frustration with PG`s dusting. I do however achieve pretty decent result with PG, which is why I reach for it for bad marring. I`ll have to check OHC on my friend`s Mini next month and compare the 2. She`s got some dogs that do a number on her car every so often. PG doesn`t dust as bad as the SSR line, but still more than I`d like. Thank god PO85RD doesn`t dust much...but after using Optimum`s line, everything seems to dust a lot :P

wannafbody
06-05-2006, 01:34 PM
OHC/OC/OP should work fine. I went from OHC with a yellow cutting pad to Mothers Powerpolish with a green light cut pad and had some minor hollogramming left-mainly on the edges of my WS6 hood scoops.

imported_Picus
06-05-2006, 01:38 PM
Simon - I totally agree. I`ve been using 80 less and less and the OC/OP mix more and more. I never really had great luck with DACP, so I use PG and Opt Hyper for that step. I do, however, still use Menzerna whenever possible. Here`s something to try re: PG/IP/FPII - add ~30% Clearkote RMG to them, I promise you it helps a ton with both dusting and removal. Cheers.

EBPcivicsi
06-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Get some Hi-Temp extreme cut, it cuts like PG or #85, but finishes as clear as OP. Thanks to Sean, I tried mixing with OP over the weekend (on the pad, not in the bottle), the results are amazing--all of the cut of EC, the workability of OP, and as clost to LSP ready paint as you are going to get from this level of compound. I follow up with FP-II via PC/cyclo and the finish is stunning. This is all with a meguiars polishing pad @1500 RPM`s, though I have used orange pads with similar results. Get some HT EC, you will not regret it.

s2skimon
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks for the help guys..

imported_themightytimmah
06-05-2006, 06:46 PM
I`m with EP, the Hi-Temp cutting line has completely taken PG out of my lineup. I find that the HT products cut faster, and with NO dusting or slinging, cuts my after-buffing cleanup time in half. It does gum up sometimes, but if you mix EC with OHC, you get a real winner. OHC just doesn`t cut quite enough for those truly terrible jobs, but its nice for medium swirling (just a lil bit more than Menzerna IP could handle).

I still like Menzerna alot better than Optimum for finishing though. PO85RD or FPII are just that much finer than OCP.

chml17l
06-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I still like Menzerna alot better than Optimum for finishing though. PO85RD or FPII are just that much finer than OCP.

The word on the street from Anthony Orosco is that Dr. Ghodoussi is working on a finer finishing polish than the regular Optimum polish to add to the Optimum lineup.