PDA

View Full Version : wax & paint question

asm505
06-05-2006, 05:24 AM
I am new to this website but it seems like it will be an awesome tool for information. 4 years ago I hit a deer with my car and had the repairs done. I haven`t noticed any major problems with the paint that the body shop did. The other day I was cleaning the inside of my doors out (the painted area) and noticed a mark that I wanted to get off so I got my wax out and started rubbing. I noticed that on the very bottom edge of the door the paint was rubbing off as well. Do you think there is something wrong with the paint or is it possible the I was rubbing that hard and the paint wouldn`t be as think on the edge of the door. Anyway I touched it up with my touch up paint but it has been driving my crazy ever since. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. :thx

Ed Fisher
06-05-2006, 05:51 AM
No clearcoat because the area was concealed anyhow... A cheapskate trick done by almost all of the bodyshops... That is basically one of the reasons why I usually stay and watch what the heck they do if I have to get a repair / repaint etc job done... (Including periodical maintenance where they once told me they used "screenwash fluid" where they filled nothing but tap water...)

Accumulator
06-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Somtimes the *manufacturers* cut corners like this too. Some of my vehicles were only cleared where it shows, which seemed pretty chintzy to me. The WRX was like that, barely any paint at all under the hood :rolleyes:

Ed Fisher
06-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Somtimes the *manufacturers* cut corners like this too. Some of my vehicles were only cleared where it shows, which seemed pretty chintzy to me. The WRX was like that, barely any paint at all under the hood :rolleyes:

Yeah !! I had this 2004 Megane with metallic deep navy blue. Under the hood and trunk it was dull and no clear either !!

I wrote it off when I had the computer fiddled with and exceeded the red line for too long... Amazingly, the crank shaft had splintered in two places and the engine block cracked... Since it was my mistake, the dealer did not accept waranty so I went to my insurance co. to apply... They wrote off the car and offered me a payment, enough to buy my new one...

Accumulator
06-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I wrote it off when I had the computer fiddled with and exceeded the red line for too long... Amazingly, the crank shaft had splintered in two places and the engine block cracked...

Oops :eek: Glad to hear the insurance picked it up.

At least you could get a new one. When *I* hit the deer in my S8 they`d quit building them and now I don`t like the new ones...so I`m stuck with a repaired wreck (and so I do empathize with you, asm505. At least it sounds like you`re satisfied with your repairs).

Ed Fisher
06-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Yup I agree with you. I like the old Audi and VW Passat bodies better than the new ones too...

I have this fixed idea that I never keep a car once it is damaged and repaired, no matter how light it is... I buy a new one every two years... I kinda love the new car small I guess... ???

Accumulator
06-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Murat- Heh heh, that frequent trading just won`t work for me in this age of MMI/I-drive stuff ;) And my wife refuses to give up her `00 A8 unless it`s completely totaled...

Ed Fisher
06-05-2006, 09:04 PM
MMI/I-drive stuff

Uhh I don` t know this one ?? My Mother and I ?? :D