PDA

View Full Version : Mothers Clay Bar Kit any good?

LikeaRock
03-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Hello all
Sorry for the various questions, I just want to make sure that I do the job right, as well as all of you do.

There is a local store that sells detailing supplies, I`ll be stopping by there tomorrow (just heard about them), I`ll see what they carry. I was told that Pep Boys carries the Mothers Clay Bar Kit, I called and checked and they said it runs about $18-20. I see it comes with the Clay, Carnauba Wax, and the Showtime Instant Detailer. All I need is the clay really, I`m not worried about something for lube, I`ll just use my car wash soap with water.
I`ve heard different clay bars can be better than others, so should I watch out for anything with this, or should I just go for the kit? Considering everything it comes with, it doesn`t seem like a bad deal at all

Thansk again fellas!
Dolan

Hawaiianelement
03-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Aloha Dolan , no worries about questions. This is the place to ask them . I`ve found that pretty much all clay is the same. From my supplier all clay comes from the same place. Companies buy the clay in bulk and package it . Altough I do notice some differences in texture from one to the other. Mothers has a nice putty like consistency which is easy to work with and at 20.00 thats a good deal . PLus the showtime spray is an added bonus. Don`t forget to break your clay in half just in case you drop it you`ll have a second..

91LSMAN
03-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Before I started using all Poorboys Products I used the Mother`s claybar. It worked well, and the clay is very similiar to Poorboys.

LikeaRock
03-12-2005, 12:45 AM
Thanks guys, that`s exactly the answer I was looking for. I`ll be running down tomorrow or Sunday morning. Like you said, the detail spray is an added bonus, it shouldn`t take a whole bottle to do the truck, should it? It`d be nice if I have some left for future use.

You guys are all awesome, I LOVE this place!

91LSMAN
03-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Thanks guys, that`s exactly the answer I was looking for. I`ll be running down tomorrow or Sunday morning. Like you said, the detail spray is an added bonus, it shouldn`t take a whole bottle to do the truck, should it? It`d be nice if I have some left for future use.

You guys are all awesome, I LOVE this place!

Yeah, you`ll have some of the detail spray left.

joyriide1113
03-12-2005, 12:47 AM
subsitute the details pray fopr water and soap or simply do it while u wash. the detail spray alone cost like 5 bucks and its an awesome detail spray. i wouldnt waste it on claying... id use it on future qd after washes and such. it really is one of the best otc detail sprays available.

emetzger
03-12-2005, 12:53 AM
i was at kmart today and bought some on clearance for 7.00. i bought 4 of them. let you know when i use them if i like them. i usually use clay magic

YellarStang99
03-12-2005, 07:00 AM
The mother kit was the first one I ever used and it worked great. It was like I was staring at a new yellow. My only problem was that I just barely had enough of the lube in the kit to finish. So if I was to do a larger car I would probably just do the "as you wash" teachnique as mentioned above.

joyriide1113
03-12-2005, 09:32 PM
The mother kit was the first one I ever used and it worked great. It was like I was staring at a new yellow. My only problem was that I just barely had enough of the lube in the kit to finish. So if I was to do a larger car I would probably just do the "as you wash" teachnique as mentioned above.

or u can fill the bottle up with a dillution of car wash soap and water

LikeaRock
03-12-2005, 09:38 PM
I purchased it today, and DAMN am I pleased! I washed the truck, followed by the claying (much easier than I thought!), then a couple coats of wax w/ the buffer. The weather wasn`t extremely great today (no sun), so I didn`t get as great as results as I could have gotten, but it still looks great. As soon as my sister emails me the pics I`ll post them!

Hawaiianelement
03-12-2005, 10:07 PM
I purchased it today, and DAMN am I pleased! I washed the truck, followed by the claying (much easier than I thought!), then a couple coats of wax w/ the buffer. The weather wasn`t extremely great today (no sun), so I didn`t get as great as results as I could have gotten, but it still looks great. As soon as my sister emails me the pics I`ll post them!

Way to go LikeaRock, claying a vehicle gives you great results . glad to hear is was easy for you .