PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have problems with alcohol?

Pennypacker
06-05-2006, 12:35 AM
..and not the drinking kind. I`m talking IPA wipedown. I had some spotting yesterday on my hood because of it. The problem was fixed with some AIO, but still I`ve never seen this before. I didn`t use a 50/50 mix of alcohol to water. Maybe this was the problem? I diluted the 70% IPA solution 1:1. Then again, I`ve heard of people using it successfully with no dilution whatsoever. :nixweiss

Ed Fisher
06-05-2006, 01:56 AM
Almost did that corny joke of "nope, not after the alcoholics league membership"... :nana:

Well odds are you did not try long enough or was scared to strip too much of something off... After all it is called "rubbing alcohol" so go rub it a bit more.... :rofl

bmwbear
06-05-2006, 06:29 AM
..and not the drinking kind. I`m talking IPA wipedown. I had some spotting yesterday on my hood because of it. The problem was fixed with some AIO, but still I`ve never seen this before. I didn`t use a 50/50 mix of alcohol to water. Maybe this was the problem? I diluted the 70% IPA solution 1:1. Then again, I`ve heard of people using it successfully with no dilution whatsoever. :nixweiss

I always use straight IPA and have never had any problems. If you are diluting it, you will want to mix it with distilled water. Regular tap/house water contains trace chemicals/minerals which can leave behind unwanted spots like to mentioned.

Bill D
06-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Also, be sure not to use it on hot paint, it can evaporate unevenly and leave spots what I`m picturing you describing. Yes, the 50:50 solution is best recommended.