PDA

View Full Version : Using 3M Finesse-It II

FreeBIZZ
06-04-2006, 03:15 PM
I am considering using Using 3M Finesse-It II on a 2 year old Nissan-maroon, that has never been waxed and gets wahed a couple times per year. I`m not sure of the paint condition, but I am thinking it will be swirled. Can anyone give me some good tips on this product? I`ll probably do something like this:

wash

clay

3m PC w/white polishing pad

Poorboys PWC Blue-PC w/black finishing pad

PB EX by hand MF applicator

any experience on the 3m would be appreciated. I read the reviews at:

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=c097ad68a939daf70154d4bc1dae3d67&cmd=details&itemid=47

but would like some more input. I want this car to gleam as it is my 1st paid job for a friend and co-worker.

Any staining on trim? Will my garage turn into a dust bowl?

Thanks

Accumulator
06-05-2006, 10:40 AM
I haven`t used the FI-II for years but coincidentally enough, the last time it *was* on a maroon car ...lemme try to remember....IIRC it will stain trim, at least if you let it dry on it. The dusting wasn`t all *that* bad or I`d probably remember it.

Same ol` same ol` that goes for most any polish: don`t work the product until it`s completely dry but work it long enough for it to break down. If there was anything really weird to watch out for I think I`d remember it. I gave what I had left to my grandnephew-in-law and he didn`t have any problems using it on his family`s cars.

FreeBIZZ
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I haven`t used the FI-II for years but coincidentally enough, the last time it *was* on a maroon car ...lemme try to remember....IIRC it will stain trim, at least if you let it dry on it. The dusting wasn`t all *that* bad or I`d probably remember it.

Same ol` same ol` that goes for most any polish: don`t work the product until it`s completely dry but work it long enough for it to break down. If there was anything really weird to watch out for I think I`d remember it. I gave what I had left to my grandnephew-in-law and he didn`t have any problems using it on his family`s cars.

thanks, `lator~!

mrdetailer
06-05-2006, 12:05 PM
I just used Finesse IT II on my red car (conventional coat) and found that with a cutting pad, it removed haze, some swirl marks, and even some water spot etching. It is great and I"ll post in about a week when my digital camera returns with my wife from vacation.

Any way, back on topic. Based on this behavior with an older car I honestly found it to be a fairly agressive cleaner. The best way to check is to look in full sunlight arter you have finished detailing with the clay bar and washed the car again. If you see haze, swirls and scratches then it`s great to use.

Remember this product is used as a final finish after using rubbing compounds so it`s designed to remove scratches using abrasives.

My question is that it`s pretty new vehicle. You want to use the least agressive polish possible. If the paint looks good I`d use a P21S Paint Cleansing lotion first. It`s mild, cleans the paint and adds a nice luster without much use of abrasives.

My neice has a 2 year old Black Toyota and it just plain wasn`t ready for Finesse It Yet. But it is parked in a parking terrace or under a carport most of the time.

So see what your paint condition is before using this product.

ronmart
06-05-2006, 01:42 PM
I am considering using Using 3M Finesse-It II on a 2 year old Nissan-maroon, that has never been waxed and gets wahed a couple times per year. I`m not sure of the paint condition, but I am thinking it will be swirled. Can anyone give me some good tips on this product? I`ll probably do something like this:

wash

clay

http://www.autopia.org/reviews/censura.php?tsid=1&csid=c097ad68a939daf70154d4bc1dae3d67&cmd=details&itemid=47

but would like some more input. I want this car to gleam as it is my 1st paid job for a friend and co-worker.

Thanks

This car is a GREAT candidate for using Klasse All-In-One (AIO) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) on as you`ll have a great looking car for a year even if you keep up your past cleaning (or lack thereof) habits. I`d do the Klasse twins after your polishing but before your wax and you`ll be in awe of the results.

FreeBIZZ
06-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Thanks, MrDetail and Ronmart. Yes---I am concerned about it being too agressive, but I was going toi use a polishing pad and not a cutting pad. I`ll just have to see the finish after claying, but now I am concerned about adding more swirls and scratching if the 3m is too coarse.

I do have Klasse twins, so I can go that route......but the car won`t be able to cure indoors after the SG is wiped off......I use WOWO. If it`s not going to rain for 24 hrs, maybe the Klasse is an option, even though I have read numerous posts that it looks best on light colors and metallics. I got a great result using it on a white Forester.

Thanks for the feedback~!

mrdetailer
06-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks, MrDetail and Ronmart. Yes---I am concerned about it being too agressive, but I was going toi use a polishing pad and not a cutting pad. I`ll just have to see the finish after claying, but now I am concerned about adding more swirls and scratching if the 3m is too coarse.

I do have Klasse twins, so I can go that route......but the car won`t be able to cure indoors after the SG is wiped off......I use WOWO. If it`s not going to rain for 24 hrs, maybe the Klasse is an option, even though I have read numerous posts that it looks best on light colors and metallics. I got a great result using it on a white Forester.

Thanks for the feedback~!

I know that the Klasse twins look great on white, red and darker colors. After I used the Finesse it II finishing material I used All in One then immediately afterwards the Sealant Glaze. It has amazing depth and shine and looks even better than my neices black Toyota. You should be pleased with the results. By the Way, I always use the WOWO method. If it starts getting tough to remove another swipe with the applicator allows it to be removed quickly.

My instructions for the Finesse IT II indicated using medium pressure at first then easing up to a very light pressure before finishing. This worked really well. I also washed after using FI II and before the AIO.

FreeBIZZ
06-06-2006, 07:41 AM
thanks again, Mr. D

SFCR
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM

wash

clay

Thanks

FreeBIZZ, I`ve used 3M Finesse-It for years and always had excellent results and only recently purchased the Finesse-It II Professional Machine Polish. After reading many of the posts and with recent good info from another member, I decided to compare product performance today on my 2010 Summit White Impala LTZ. I used GG`s orange pad on my ROB on a speed of 6 and used GG`s Machine Polish #2 on the hood. It didn`t do so badly, but it does lack the aggressiveness needed for proper correction. Perhaps their Machine Polish #1 might do better. So, I went back and tried the 3M Finesse-It II Professional Machine Polish with GG`s orange pad on the roof and it worked beautifully!! Smooth as wet glass, no marks, and super shiny!! I went back and did the hood over with the 3M and the finish is outstanding. 3M Finesse-It II works great for me. But, as Accumulator mentioned, don`t buff it dry. Leave it a little damp and wipe it off. If you find it`s a little harder to remove, use a damp microfiber towel to wipe it off and immediately dry it with another microfiber towel. Griot`s Garage gives some advice I like about removing polishes in their detailer`s guide. If the polish happens to dry too much, use either a little water or their Speed Shine. Meguiar`s Detailer would probably do the same thing. BTW, the 3M didn`t dust much either.

Hope this helps