PDA

View Full Version : Tried to buff out some marks

suprax
06-03-2006, 05:02 PM
So it appears that somewhere this Winter someone might have tried to key the back tailgate of my 2005 Metallic Silver VW GTI. There is a very light line that goes from one end to the other. Now its not deep at all and you can not even feel it so I thought well this shouldn`t be hard to get rid of.

So I have some 3M rubbing compound and went at it, rubbing (maybe too hard) on all parts of the line. I got some of the line out really well and you can barely see it but there is a good section you can still see. So I got some cheap Turtle Wax polishing compound and applied this over the line. It seemed to help get rid of the line more.

After I finished I waxed the spots and while it looks about 80% better than before, at an angle you can still see a part of the line.

But that`s not my problem. After I was looking at it, I can now notice 2 spots on one section of the line where its like "dull". Like it`s not horribly bad and doesn`t hit you in the face, but compared to the shinyness of the rest of the tailgate, you can definitely see these two "dull" spots if you look for them. It`s almost like I rubbed off too much clear coat or something.

I think this is from the rubbing compound and I might have gone at it too hard. So my question is, is there anything I can do to fix this? I`m thinking of going to get some good polish from the store (no, I cannot afford to order any expensive fancy stuff online) and apply that on top and then rewax. It just seems like I need to "shine" up the spots and they will be fine after that, but right now if you are looking at the tailgate at a reflection of anything, and you move your head around, you can notice these 2 dull spots that don`t reflect like the rest.

Any help would be great!

Accumulator
06-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I`d expect that sort of hazing/dulling when you use harsh products, it just sorta goes with the territory. With any luck that`s all you`re seeing and you didn`t damage the clear. If you *did* damage it, you`re looking at getting a repair spotted in, simple as that (you take your chances and sometimes you *then* pay your money ;) ).

I haven`t used the TW stuff, but I assume the 3M product was their PI-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (pn 39002 in a 16 oz bottle). If it was something else you might be in trouble and I dunno what the TW stuff might`ve done.

Products like this need a milder product as a follow up. Not sure what to recommend OTC as my fave (3M PI-III MG 05937) is out of production and getting hard to find. My local autobody/paint supply place has it on the shelf though, so you might look in the yellow pages and call around.

Next time don`t rub hard. Stick with the milder product and spend a lot of time doing it gently and gradually. Most people sorta balk at the idea of spending half an hour or more on a job like this, but that can be what it takes (I`ve spent a lot longer than that on fingernail scratches behind a door handle).

suprax
06-03-2006, 05:26 PM
I`d expect that sort of hazing/dulling when you use harsh products, it just sorta goes with the territory. With any luck that`s all you`re seeing and you didn`t damage the clear. If you *did* damage it, you`re looking at getting a repair spotted in, simple as that (you take your chances and sometimes you *then* pay your money ;) ).

I haven`t used the TW stuff, but I assume the 3M product was their PI-II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound (pn 39002 in a 16 oz bottle). If it was something else you might be in trouble and I dunno what the TW stuff might`ve done.

Products like this need a milder product as a follow up. Not sure what to recommend OTC as my fave (3M PI-III MG 05937) is out of production and getting hard to find. My local autobody/paint supply place has it on the shelf though, so you might look in the yellow pages and call around.

Next time don`t rub hard. Stick with the milder product and spend a lot of time doing it gently and gradually. Most people sorta balk at the idea of spending half an hour or more on a job like this, but that can be what it takes (I`ve spent a lot longer than that on fingernail scratches behind a door handle).

Well I don`t mind spending time. In fact doing what I did took about 45 minutes so it was more of me not knowing I was rubbing too hard.

What is 3M PI-III MG 05937? Is it some kind of polish? I guess I`m just wondering if theres any kind of product I can get that will "shine" up the areas, like a polish or something.

Accumulator
06-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Well I don`t mind spending time. ..it was more of me not knowing I was rubbing too hard.

What is 3M PI-III MG 05937? Is it some kind of polish? I guess I`m just wondering if theres any kind of product I can get that will "shine" up the areas, like a polish or something.

OK, sounds like you learned how hard *not* to rub. You learn by doing.

Yeah, the 05937 is a mildly abrasive polish that works great by hand (despite it`s name "Machine Glaze).

Another one that works well is 1Z Paint Polish, but note that this product leaves a little wax behind (not that there`s anything wrong with that IMO).

And one more: Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze. Again, don`t worry about the name, it`s a mildly abrasive polish like the others, and it works fine by hand.

There are a zillion other products on the market that`ll probably work, but these are the ones I like to use by hand and I can recommend them from first-hand experience.

suprax
06-03-2006, 05:39 PM
OK, sounds like you learned how hard *not* to rub. You learn by doing.

Yeah, the 05937 is a mildly abrasive polish that works great by hand (despite it`s name "Machine Glaze).

Another one that works well is 1Z Paint Polish, but note that this product leaves a little wax behind (not that there`s anything wrong with that IMO).

And one more: Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze. Again, don`t worry about the name, it`s a mildly abrasive polish like the others, and it works fine by hand.

There are a zillion other products on the market that`ll probably work, but these are the ones I like to use by hand and I can recommend them from first-hand experience.

Ok I`ve seen the Meguiar`s Glaze at the store. I was wondering if a glaze like that would do the job. So I apply that and then when finished I should wax on top correct?

Accumulator
06-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Yep, put some wax on after the #80. Just make sure it really *is* the #80 Speed Glaze, Meguiar`s makes a lot of products with similar sounding names. You want the #80, not the others (which aren`t anywhere near the same).

You work the #80 until it starts to turn clear/translucent but not until it dries completely. It`ll probably take a few times to get it looking good.

If you can`t find the #80 order one of the other products. Don`t bother with the other Meg`s "glazes", they`re nonabrasive and that`s *not* what you want for this; you need abrasives to smooth things out. Store clerks often try to sell other products that`ll "work just the same" but it doesn`t turn out that way ;)

suprax
06-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Yep, put some wax on after the #80. Just make sure it really *is* the #80 Speed Glaze, Meguiar`s makes a lot of products with similar sounding names. You want the #80, not the others (which aren`t anywhere near the same).

You work the #80 until it starts to turn clear/translucent but not until it dries completely. It`ll probably take a few times to get it looking good.

If you can`t find the #80 order one of the other products. Don`t bother with the other Meg`s "glazes", they`re nonabrasive and that`s *not* what you want for this; you need abrasives to smooth things out. Store clerks often try to sell other products that`ll "work just the same" but it doesn`t turn out that way ;)

Ok well I went againest your suggestion and picked up some 3M professional Hand Glaze since I couldn`t track down any #80 locally. So I put on 3 coats and 2 coats of wax and it looks excellent. The spots are basically completely gone!

Now the only thing I am concerned about is that the next time it rains or something I`ll begin to see the spots come back even after the 3 heavy coats of glaze and wax. Glaze does eventually wear off, correct or no?

Accumulator
06-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Ok well I went againest your suggestion and picked up some 3M professional Hand Glaze since I couldn`t track down any #80 locally. So I put on 3 coats and 2 coats of wax and it looks excellent. The spots are basically completely gone!

Now the only thing I am concerned about is that the next time it rains or something I`ll begin to see the spots come back even after the 3 heavy coats of glaze and wax. Glaze does eventually wear off, correct or no?

Finding stuff locally can be a pain, so I don`t blame you for taking the glaze/wax route.

When the wax wears away the IHG will too, and yeah, the marks will "come back". No problem, you`ll have plenty of time to track down some polish between now and then ;) Depending on the durability of your wax, you might be OK for quite a while.

The good news is that if the IHG hid the problem it`s probably not anything really serious.

Get some 05937, or 1Z Paint Polish, or #80. You`ll have it when you need it (like when you get tired of repeatedly hiding the problem with the IHG ;) ).