PDA

View Full Version : Permafinish Anyone?

gmercoleza
06-03-2006, 04:10 PM
OK, here goes:

http://www.permafinish.com/ ???

This is only available in the Atlanta area. My father-in-law swears this is the be-all end-all of all waxing. He has had 3 cars treated with this method over the past few years, including a recently acquired red Infinity G35 coupe which looks great. Supposedly they treat the paint which makes it very soft for about 4 to 6 weeks, during which time you are not to treat it harshly and are only allowed to hose it off (no rubbing). However, after about 3 to 4 months, once it has fully cured, the paint is ultra-hard. It will bead water, and nothing will stick to it, including tree sap and road tar which wipe right off. The appearance is that of a freshly-waxed car, with the paint feeling like glass to the touch. The company guarantees your paint will never need waxing for 6 years, and my father-in-law attests to the truthful claims (he owned a Pontiac which was treated with this system for about that long).

I of course, having recently obtained my PC, am skeptical. Surely there are some drawbacks? I asked him if the finish is more prone to scratching, he says nope. He doesn`t have any spider scratches or key/ring scratches by the door handles, water still beads like there`s a fresh coat of wax on there, and I will testify that the car does glow. Cost for the treatment was $400 - could this possibly be the only drawback?

I`m sure someone out there has used it??? Let`s hear about pro`s con`s...

gmercoleza
06-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Come on - I`m sure SOMEONE has heard of this?

-Lebowski-
06-05-2006, 07:15 AM
:hmph:

lmnopqrstuvwxyz

AutoCadillac
06-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I`m not familiar with it but out of curiousity I did a BBB search on them. Apparently they have two other companies operating out of the same phone number. They appear to be some kind of car seller in addition to offering this product.

They have 5 BBB complaints in the past 36 months, and one of the 5 complaintants acknowledged to the BBB satisfactory resolution. Two refused the company`s offer to resolve and two did not let the BBB know if they were happy with what was offered to resolve.

fg3
03-15-2008, 06:17 PM
My father in law lives in Atlanta and has this process done to all of his cars. I recently took our 2007 Cadillac SRX there and had it done.

They claim the process involves a chemical that acts as a catylist with the paint and actually changes the molecular structure of the clearcoat, thus `chemically hardening` it.

I must say, that our black SRX still looks great a year after having this done. We`ve taken it through several mechanical car washes as well as tons of hand washing and there are only very minimal swirls.

I`ll be able to give you some more info. tomorrow as I am going to take the PC to it and see if I can remove the slight swirling that exists.

Frank