PDA

View Full Version : homebrewed waterless wash...

wannafbody
06-03-2006, 11:25 AM
theres a thread in the city about a hombrew waterless wash using 1 part hair conditioner to 15 parts water. Some claim that it works as well as Poorboys S&W. Any one interested in trying it out?

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2006, 11:40 AM
What brand hair conditioner? Can I get it OTC or is it boutique? Do you use tap water, distilled, or deionized?

chml17l
06-03-2006, 11:42 AM
As I posted over on DC...I seriously doubt the two product`s chemistrys (hair conditioner/waterless wash) being compared here would be even remotely similar. A waterless wash needs to suspend dirt and contaminants in a solvent that will allow it to clean the surface and not leave trace dirt and residues behind. Hair conditioner will leave a waxy coating behind and it is not designed to do any cleaning at all.

If people want to try homemade solutions on their own paint I guess it`s up to them, but I believe that a waterless wash product specifically designed to do this type of job is going to way outperform water + hair conditioner. If waterless washes were so easy to make, why wouldn`t they have been invented and marketed sooner. Hair conditioner has been around for a long time... and it`s not going anywhere near my car.

Setec Astronomy
06-03-2006, 12:06 PM
If waterless washes were so easy to make, why wouldn`t they have been invented and marketed sooner. Hair conditioner has been around for a long time...

Because no one thought they could sell 94% water and 6% hair conditioner to people to spray on their car? You`re a chemist, you more than anyone should know that many products for many different applications are more alike than they are different. How many basic chemistries for (laundry) detergents are there? Enough for all the products out there to be "unique"? The differences are mostly marketing, as you well know.