PDA

View Full Version : optimum no rinse

Brian_Brice
06-02-2006, 10:55 PM
:wow: i know someone just gave thier two cents on this product but i cant find it so i just wanna say thanks to scottwax for bringing it to my attention as i can now ditch the 240 gallon water tank breaking my trucks back. i was amazed at the ease of use and how versatile it is. i even used the same mf sponge on the inside of my windows. i washed half of my old work truck first as it hadnt been washed in months because its a pos. most likely the biggest shock came when i cleaned the tires, that was always going to be the question i asked you no rinse guys, well my tires were filthly and all i did was wipe my sponge across em a few times and they looked like i used strong cleaner and a wire brush. i figured they would just look like that while wet and dry brown but they didnt, as a matter of fact they almost looked dressed already so two thumbs up and wish me luck down my much dryer road of detailing. :bigups

EMazda3S
06-02-2006, 11:22 PM
It`s great stuff! I use it as my only wash because I am water/hose restricted in a townhouse with a community well. I don`t know if I could go back to a hose if given the opportunity. It does work just fine on the tires and the wheel wells.

My only qualm is the insides of the wheels that I can`t reach and really need to blast with the hose. Washing in the garage is just great and no mess left over.

I`ve used QEW, and the DP rinsless and the Opti is the ticket because it leaves more slickness and better gloss than the others. Makes a great and inexpensive QD and clay lube too.

Welcome to the club. May you wash quicker and easier and prosper. :grinno:

racingbeat
06-05-2006, 07:41 AM
I also live in a no hose gated community, I used ONR this weekend for the first time with my sea sponge.

Used two buckets added about an ounce (or a shot glass?) to one of my buckets wich are not quite one gallon. Maybe 3/4`s.

The bucket with the ONR seemed dark and I kept thinking "where are the suds? ZERO suds? weird".

I soaked th sponge squeezed out the the water and had second thoughts. Where is the prouct? Seems like just a wet sponge with no lubrication to me..

So I soaked it again and made a pass on the front quater panel.

Again this was weird because it seemed like I was just wetting the car down. My car is silver so its hard to tell where the dirt is, only the lower portions of the car seem to get visibly dirty.

After each pass I dunked the sponge is the other bucket squeeze out the dirt and noticed that the bucket was quickly gettingt dirty.

For the wheels I used my Meguiars Gold Class Wheel Brush and simply recycled the water fromt the rinse bucket. Worked like a charm.

Dried the car with a large Poorboys MF towel after spraying the car liberally with FK 146 cleaner.

425 and FX100 followed.

I`ll definitely have to get the One Gallon buckets.

But looks like I`m sold on this Product. I jumped the gun and bought the 1 gallon size so I`m relieved.

Clean up is now a piece of cake and spending $5 at the coin operated wash is history. Well maybe just for rinsing out the dust from my canvas top.

tustah
06-05-2006, 07:47 AM
I also live in a no hose gated community, I used ONR this weekend for the first time with my sea sponge.

Used two buckets added about an ounce (or a shot glass?) to one of my buckets wich are not quite one gallon. Maybe 3/4`s.

The bucket with the ONR seemed dark and I kept thinking "where are the suds? ZERO suds? weird".

I soaked th sponge squeezed out the the water and had second thoughts. Where is the prouct? Seems like just a wet sponge with no lubrication to me..

So I soaked it again and made a pass on the front quater panel.

Again this was weird because it seemed like I was just wetting the car down. My car is silver so its hard to tell where the dirt is, only the lower portions of the car seem to get visibly dirty.

After each pass I dunked the sponge is the other bucket squeeze out the dirt and noticed that the bucket was quickly gettingt dirty.

For the wheels I used my Meguiars Gold Class Wheel Brush and simply recycled the water fromt the rinse bucket. Worked like a charm.

Dried the car with a large Poorboys MF towel after spraying the car liberally with FK 146 cleaner.

425 and FX100 followed.

I`ll definitely have to get the One Gallon buckets.

But looks like I`m sold on this Product. I jumped the gun and bought the 1 gallon size so I`m relieved.

Clean up is now a piece of cake and spending $5 at the coin operated wash is history. Well maybe just for rinsing out the dust from my canvas top.

I use 5 gallon buckets for the wash. Maybe it`ll work better for you as well.

racingbeat
06-05-2006, 07:57 AM
DOH..Yeah I meant 5 gallon like the ones they sell at Home Despot.

My buckets are for house cleaning.

Bioman
06-05-2006, 08:18 AM
So you guys use two 5gallon buckets? I have two 2gallon buckets...is that enough for 1 car or should I use a 5gallon?

imported_flatstick
06-05-2006, 08:22 AM
So you guys use two 5gallon buckets? I have two 2gallon buckets...is that enough for 1 car or should I use a 5gallon?

I would use the 5 gallon for the rinse bucket , along with a gritguard. I do use a 3 gal bucket for my wash and it stays clean with no dirt in it.

EMazda3S
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM

I use 2 gallon buckets with no problems. They recommend one ounce of ONR to two gallons of water so you should be fine. And I do use a labeled shot glass also but I reckon 2 capfulls equals one ounce. The 5 gallon buckets would be easier to use though and I need get me some of them. I also would like to add the Gritguard.

It is deceptive. You wouldn`t think the car is gonna get clean without marring but it works so well.

I absolutely love washing in the garage without making a mess. I did it in a rainstorm the other day and prior to that I did it at 2am.one morning just cause I could. :dance

racingbeat
06-05-2006, 08:31 AM
So what happens if you use too much ONR? (other than wasting product)

will it diminish the effectiveness? Shuld the bucket with ONR look clear or dark?

or just have a bluish tint?

I`ll get the 2 gallon buckets when I go to pick up some of those grout sponges. I`m going to use those on the wheels and and lower portions like the rear bumper and side skirting.

seth812
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
why do you guys use grout sponges? is the ONR that lubricating that you can use a sponge with it?

i really want to try this stuff now, and i love the fact that you can just further dilute it and make a QD out of it

racingbeat
06-05-2006, 09:00 AM
haven`t used the grout sponge yet. But I like using the sea sponge vs. sheepskin mit/chennille/MF in general because I find the sponge stays cleaner during the wash and is way easier to clean afterwards. I`m not sure about the claim that the holes in the sponge suck in debris and reduce marring but some very experieced detailers say it does in fact cut down the marring vs. sheepsking and MF sponge.

I think on of the big Optimum distributors uses only sponges.

p.s.

the viscosity of ONR is minimal, also kind of weird.

Pats300zx
06-05-2006, 09:11 AM
haven`t used the grout sponge yet. But I like using the sea sponge vs. sheepskin mit/chennille/MF in general because I find the sponge stays cleaner during the wash and is way easier to clean afterwards. I`m not sure about the claim that the holes in the sponge suck in debris and reduce marring but some very experieced detailers say it does in fact cut down the marring vs. sheepsking and MF sponge.

I think on of the big Optimum distributors uses only sponges.

p.s.

the viscosity of ONR is minimal, also kind of weird.

Where are you guys getting the sea sponges??? Are these the grout sponges that Home Depot sells???

racingbeat
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Sea sponge at Autogeek $20

Grout Sponges from Home Depot (paint department) are like $3

I`ll use the pricey one for the paint/glass only. Grout sponges for bumpers and wheels.

SpoiledMan
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I`m a grout sponge user and have been since sometime last year. The sponges are durable, cheap, effective and don`t mar the paint. I have one of the best test beds available, my `98 Integra that has very soft black paint that will mar if given a hard stare. There is little marring and the car gets wiped down several times per week(425 or Z8) and has been "grout sponged" many times since it was polished a few months back.