PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Still on New Car - Please HELP!!

imported_norahcrv
06-02-2006, 02:58 PM
My son bought a new car this week & asked them to leave all the "shipping plastic" on the paint so that "he" could detail it himself (with my "help").

Does anybody have any experience or suggestions for the removal of the plastic? Should it just "peel off"?? Then we can clay, polish, etc??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/coolchid/60531BrycesFit/DSC00211.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Norah

Setec Astronomy
06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Norah, is that a plastic film on the car? I know I saw RSX`s on the dealer lot with some sort of (poorly) painted-on stuff that probably needs to be removed with a solvent of some sorts (Prep-Sol, mineral spirits, etc.) The strip on the bumper should peel right off.

VroomVroom
06-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I assume it`s the same plastic film that was on my wife`s `06 Acura TSX. I had the same request - our salesman actually removed the film, and there literally dozens of small pieces remaining all over the car.

I used a clay bar for some of the pieces, and found it easier to use 3M wax/adhesive remover with a MF applicator pad for the rest.

Accumulator
06-02-2006, 04:37 PM
My fave for this is New Car Prep from AutoInt (http://www.autoint.com/) . It`s pretty much the industry standard, made specifically for this sort of clean up. Works great.

mblgjr
06-02-2006, 05:07 PM
The plastic will peel right off it shouldn`t give you any trouble. Then wash the car, review to make sure that you got everything.

The car will have rail dust on it, so you`ll have to feel it and go from there. If it does, clay it to get it off. Then, assuming there aren`t any visible scratches, you should be able to go straight to a glaze and wax/sealant.

Congrats on the new car, look like a real pretty candy-blue.

imported_norahcrv
06-02-2006, 11:58 PM
. . . the plastic has now been peeled off the hood, planning to tackle the roof tomorrow, time permitting. It peels off just like skin after a bad sunburn - mostly large strips, but it left a couple of small bits that I`ll go after with the clay this weekend.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions & good wishes:)

imported_animes2k
06-03-2006, 12:40 AM
If you run into any leftover glue, 3M Adhesive Remover or even Klasse AIO do a very good job of removing that. Congrats. Is that a Fit?

Mr.Concours
06-03-2006, 01:24 AM
AG Tar and Adhesive remover might be easier to come by OTC in Aus.