PDA

View Full Version : My Story Of Six Days with Six Different QDs

shortspark
06-02-2006, 01:18 PM
My truck sat in the garage for six straight days (2006 Honda Ridgeline in Billet Silver). I had washed it, AIO x 2, Jeff`s Jett x 3 (thought I`d try it instead of my Klasse SG). The next day I applied a coat of Jeff`s Acrylic Gloss. So far so good, everything looked great. I know, I know, claying is on my future agenda - much in the future!

The next day there was some dust I could see on the truck even though it was in the garage so I sprayed with PoorBoys SW. The next QD was FK425. WOW, things are really starting to look good so I thought I`d just mix and match the other QDs I had laying around, adding one application per day just to see what would happen.

So far I had Jett (second generation but I used the spayer), AG, SW and 425, the last three considered QDs. I have a home brew QD recipe of 1 part Klasse SG and 3 parts distilled water that works great, especially over SG. So, I put that on too. Then, I followed up the next two days with one coat of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant and the last day with Menzerna`s HGAS (I had Eagle One too but decided not to use it). Even though the HGAS and Wolfgang are not QDs in the true sense they are close enough anyway to say that I basically used six different QDs on a newly polished vehicle in six days.

I`m retired and had nothing better to do during this period so don`t think I`m nuts - it was fun just to examine the results of the previous day`s QD the next morning before I put on the next product. The results were interesting. The application of SW followed by 425 looked great but the real shine and gloss came after the last two applications of Wolfgang and the Menzerna. That should not come as a surprise of course but the difference, although noticeable, was not enough that I would want to do this all the time and after every application of sealant. On silver anyway, I think you reach a point of diminishing returns where there is just no more "pop" to be had.

BUT, like I said, mixing all this stuff on a clean surface without a wash inbetween really does improve things. If I was into wax I might get a little more warmth but billit silver is like a primer color anyway. I`m sort of tech challenged but if I can find a way to do pictures I`ll post some.

shortspark
06-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I hope the pic comes through. Hard to tell but there sure is gloss there! Well, I tried to upload the picture and it told me my picture was too large. Does anyone know how I can reduce it to fit the requirements?

mblgjr
06-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Sounds like fun.

Pictures can be uploaded and hosted onto a site, such as www.tinypic.com Just upload from your computer, click host, the copy/past the link with the [IMG] tags into your post here.

shortspark
06-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Sounds like fun.

Pictures can be uploaded and hosted onto a site, such as www.tinypic.com Just upload from your computer, click host, the copy/past the link with the [IMG] tags into your post here.

Thanks a lot! I think that is just what I need and I`ll try it for sure. Not to sound too stupid but what is the IMG tag?

shortspark
06-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay, I just went to tiny pic and it is just what i need. Lets see if this works.

1. www.tinypic.com/11i0d9l.jpg

2. www.tinypic.com/11i0oyo.jpg

I hope someone will respond just to let me know I did this right.

mblgjr
06-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Yep, that works.

When you hosted them, there should have been an option to choose the link that had IMG tags, that would allow the pics to show in your post.

The link from Tinypic that you would post here would have tags on the end, like this...(note that I left off the bracket on the right end so that you could get the idea, but it should have a closing bracket).

[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/j3ffff/IMG_0017.jpg[/IMG.

Looks very slick.

mblgjr
06-02-2006, 03:45 PM
:spot

Just seeing if if I could just add the tags on your links...appartently not.