PDA

View Full Version : Need pad and supply info

01GTB
03-11-2005, 05:29 AM
My mom`s husband has been after me to make his 2000 Porsche look as good my car. That`s kind of funny sounding actually :lol I have avoided doing it for the better part of the last three years, but I may have to help him out now.

He recently took the car to the dealer and they must have run it through a automatic wash or something. It looks terrible. Somehow they also managed to remove paint from the mirror the last time it was in. They are gonna fix that, but once that is done he wants me to make the rest of the car look right again.

I got a PC for Christmas and it is still sitting in the box it came in. I think it came from Coastal because it has the two counterweights and 6" hook & loop. What pads do I need to get? Would I be better off buying a smaller hook & loop and use 6" pads, or should I use the one that came with it and use the bigger pads? I am completely open to suggestions on pads and polish. I really don`t have the time or money to go through a whole learning curve by testing out 50 different products myself just to find what I like.

I detailed cars on a semi-full time basis back in the late 80`s and early 90`s, but the PC is completely foreign to me, as are most of the polishes out now.

Any help would be appreciated.

fenderbender
03-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Which PC do you have?

MattZ28
03-11-2005, 03:40 PM
I`m not really a big fan of using the 6" backing plate + 7.5" pads with the 7424/7336...the vibrations are crazy, even with the bigger counterweight.

I recommend purchasing a 5" backing plate and 6-6.5" pads. I got some 6.5" pads from Classic Motoring Accessories which fell apart rather quickly, so I`d recommend staying away from those. The ones from Autogeek/Palm Beach Motoring Accessories have a much thicker backing, and will not fall apart.

As far as polishes, for medium to heavy swirls, I use Poorboy`s SSR2.5 with a cutting or light-cutting pad. For light to medium swirls, I use Pinnacle Swirl Remover with a polishing or light cutting pad. I work each product on speed 5-6 until it`s nearly gone, and the finish turns out great.

Always take the least abrasive approach possible, so start with the lesser abrasive polish + pad, and if the results are not good enough, gradually step up to something more abrasive.

01GTB
03-12-2005, 01:50 AM
Which PC do you have?

...and thanks MattZ28

I had been thinking the small backing plate and pads were probably the way to go. How are the Meg`s pads as far as quality?

Eliot Ness
03-12-2005, 04:01 AM
......I had been thinking the small backing plate and pads were probably the way to go. How are the Meg`s pads as far as quality?
I like the Meg`s pads, but Excel Detail sells Propel pads that are very good quality and also priced right (use a 5" backing plate for these):

http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29307

01GTB
03-12-2005, 03:15 PM