PDA

View Full Version : Pinstripe etching?

metal
06-01-2006, 07:58 PM
My friend recently removed (most of) his pinstriping on his champagne coloured 86 Accord, but asked me to look at what was left. I assumed it was just a colour difference since the stripes were on for around 20 years now, but I tried a couple things to get rid of the colour difference and they didn`t even dent it. Tried claying first, then SSR2.5 on a polishing pad, then tried #83 on a light cutting pad; nothing at all. Paint feels smooth but that colour difference is still there. Any advice?

jdhutchin
06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Some of the paint around it may have faded from UV, and the paint under the pinstripe hasn`t (similar to what you see on interior vinyl, etc). That`s my guess for the difference, but I`d wait and see what others think.

94BlkStang
06-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Some of the paint around it may have faded from UV, and the paint under the pinstripe hasn`t (similar to what you see on interior vinyl, etc). That`s my guess for the difference, but I`d wait and see what others think.

Yep. Exposure to the elements over time will fade a color somewhat while the pinstripe is preserving the original color. Polishing and waxing can minimize the effect, but it`s unlikely to remove it completely.

metal
06-01-2006, 09:54 PM
Thought it might be that, thanks guys