PDA

View Full Version : New Paint - 2 stages Paints Question

tricycle
06-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Very quick question:

My fender and bumper are painted back in mid of March this year, how long do I have to wait for the paint to be fully cured in order to wax, put sealant and etc.? 90 days?

Thanks.

imported_UnsanePyro
06-01-2006, 09:29 AM
90 days is probably safe, I`ve heard anywhere from 30-120 days (1-4 months) but typically 3 months.

Some of my car was repainted in January this year, and just last weekend I waxed over it for the first time.

Your best bet is to ask the body shop where it was painted what they reccomend. Keep in mind it may take longer if your car is garaged/weather is cooler.

tricycle
06-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Just called the body shop 1 minute ago, the guy said 45 days. It`s time for me to bring out all my detailing stuffs for this summer :buffing:

Accumulator
06-01-2006, 10:05 AM
45 days isn`t right, that sounds like somebody`s guess or a blow-off answer. Unfortunately you just can`t trust what body shops tell you :( I worked in one once, and, well, I couldn`t believe the stuff they told the customers. As a customer, I`ve heard all sorts of [nonsense] and they always just :nixweiss when I called them on it.

When MirrorFinishMan contacted all the pain manufacturers, the shortest curing period was 90 days and the most common was 120. And that`s assuming it was baked. I consider 3 months to be the minimul and I wait longer than that. I use Meg`s #5 (or #3/#7/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2) after every wash in the meantime.

tricycle
06-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I know it may not sound right after he told me, since most of the shops recommend 90 days (minimum). If so, I have 1 more month to go; however, I can still polish the area with the OEM paint and leave the new paint alone.