PDA

View Full Version : Used Menzerna, still have defects, what to use?

ScoobyDrew06
06-01-2006, 06:35 AM
Hey guys,

My girlfriend has a dark blue jetta, it looks likes someone washed it with a brillo pad. Anyways I tried to see what I could do with her paint so I taped off half of her hood. Started with Menzerna Intensive Polish w/ Sonus DAS Orange on my PC set at 4. I went over the area 3 times with that. It was enough to get the lighter stuff out, but the heavier defects were still there. What pad and or polish/compound should I use to get the heavier defects, I was kind of dissapointed at how the intensive polish didn`t completely smooth the paint since it was my first time using it, maybe it`s the pad???

Anyways I followed up with Final Polish II, Then Klasse AIO, and some quick Natty`s Blue to see what the rest of the car could look like. I had to wash her car afterwards to get the splatter off of the panels that I did not polish, it was funny to see half of her hood bead up and a distinct line down her hood.

Five Star
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
you may want to try another pass, but bump the speed up to 6

Menzerna works best with a rotary

Mikeyc
06-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I use Menzerna all the time with my PC and get great results. As Five Star said though, you need to bump the speed up to at least 5 and if the defects are bad then 6. Any brand of polish will do very little correction at speed 4. Also, be sure you are moving the polisher slowly (~1 inch per second) and that you are overlapping your passes ~50%. I also HIGHLY recommend you give the pad a few sprays of QD before each application of polish. This will increase the working time of the polish as Menzerna tends to flash quickly.

buzzb
06-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Hey guys,

My girlfriend has a dark blue jetta, it looks likes someone washed it with a brillo pad. Anyways I tried to see what I could do with her paint so I taped off half of her hood. Started with Menzerna Intensive Polish w/ Sonus DAS Orange on my PC set at 4. I went over the area 3 times with that. It was enough to get the lighter stuff out, but the heavier defects were still there. What pad and or polish/compound should I use to get the heavier defects, I was kind of dissapointed at how the intensive polish didn`t completely smooth the paint since it was my first time using it, maybe it`s the pad???

Anyways I followed up with Final Polish II, Then Klasse AIO, and some quick Natty`s Blue to see what the rest of the car could look like. I had to wash her car afterwards to get the splatter off of the panels that I did not polish, it was funny to see half of her hood bead up and a distinct line down her hood.

Also if you are getting splatter you might be using too much polish. (just a thought) Always keep the PC pad flat against the paint while in use to prevent splatter and bump it up to 6 like Mikey and Five Star have suggested. Let us know how it turns out. (good idea to always perform a test spot first :2thumbs: )

autobahn
06-01-2006, 10:21 AM
worth noting that VW clearcoats are also some of the hardest out there.

gotta work at it :)

jmsc
06-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Try a Yellow Cutting Pad with a spritz (or 2) of water and the PC and IP. This works well on medium swirls/defects when an Orange pad doesn`t do it. Followup with a White Polishing pad and FP II if needed.

If that don`t do it you may need PowerGloss + PC or IP + Rotary as mentioned.