PDA

View Full Version : Swirls, know its but asked but...

NaviOn22's
03-10-2005, 08:05 PM
PLEASEEEEEE!!! :newbie I really need some help/advice. I`ve been doing research but don`t know exactly which way to go sooooo here`s the story...

Just got my 99 Navigator painted deep black. Looked great until the guy did the paint job buffed it! I mean it looks GREAT, except in direct sun, got what I guess is called the buffing swirls and spider webs? In the direct sun again or up close on some angles. And it seems the color black brings these out the most? Needless to say I was disappointed, until I did some searching on the net and it looks like I can possibly get rid of 90-100% of them.

I`m going tomorrow to a detailer in the NYC area (recommendations are welcome!) and I want to get this done right the first time if possible! Got the money to spend on top quality products so hit me with any info you have! Also the technique and type of buffer the detailer should use. I`m really nervous now about having anything done further so please help me out with any info that would solve this, i`ll throw up some pics when all is done...HOPEFULLY done! Thanks :whine

kimwallace
03-10-2005, 08:40 PM
First of all, check with the paint guy to see how long to wait before sealing or waxing ... you do not want to ruin the new paint by doing it too soon.
The products to use are many ... I would ask the prospective detailer what he/she uses and then ask to see some of his/her finished work.
If I was doing it myself and if the painter said it was OK to wax here is what I would do:
Poorboys SSR1 or Meguiars Swirl Free Polish with the PC and a polishing pad. Followed by 2 coats of Four Star UPP or Meguiars NXT and then your favorite wax topper.

NaviOn22's
03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
By the way like I said in the previous post, I JUST got this truck painted and I`ve heard of similiar stories with deep black finish`s. I don`t feel like going back to the shop it got painted at and arguing with them, but I will if I got screwed. So is this just something that happens with deep black finishes? Or was it a poor job on the autobody shop`s part?

I`m bout to make some calls and get some quotes I`ll get this done on Monday and let ya`ll know how it came out and what the detailer used.

TDMAN
03-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Welcome! That is good advice. As for a recommendation, I know that, or at least I think that GSRstilez is in NY. I don`t know how close or anything, but his work is outstanding. Look around on this site and lyou will find many of his pix. I`m sure there are others, but he is one that comes to mind first.