PDA

View Full Version : Should I clay or polish?

djsway
03-10-2005, 07:55 PM
I got my car late August 2004, I clayed it once and it has been raining a bit here in southern Cali. Should I clay it again or use a polish? :huh

klnyc
03-10-2005, 08:15 PM
clay it again, you not hurting anything.. Just glide it slow w/o pressure and you should be okay. :)

Patrick
03-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Your due ! I would not recommend claying more than a couple times a yr, keep in mind, although a very light abrasive clay, it remains ABRASIVE........

Nickc0844
03-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Hey dj,

Patrick does bring up a good point. Another aspect is the weather, pollution, and salt water air problems you guys have. Cars get rougher a lot quicker out in Cali than they do here in the south. With you in Irvine, you get pelted by John Wayne and LAX plane fuel pollution, which is among the worst out there (it`s sticky too). In fact, I need to go check out Irvine Spectrum again, I had fun last time I was there.

While Patrick does bring up an excellent point, a viable alternative is to find a clay WITHOUT abrasives. The other way to look at it is that most clay manufacturers will suggest claying twice a year. You`ve exceeded 6 months, so I would say your do, just make sure to follow up with a polish afterwards before laying a wax or sealant.

djsway
03-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey dj,

Patrick does bring up a good point. Another aspect is the weather, pollution, and salt water air problems you guys have. Cars get rougher a lot quicker out in Cali than they do here in the south. With you in Irvine, you get pelted by John Wayne and LAX plane fuel pollution, which is among the worst out there (it`s sticky too). In fact, I need to go check out Irvine Spectrum again, I had fun last time I was there.

While Patrick does bring up an excellent point, a viable alternative is to find a clay WITHOUT abrasives. The other way to look at it is that most clay manufacturers will suggest claying twice a year. You`ve exceeded 6 months, so I would say your do, just make sure to follow up with a polish afterwards before laying a wax or sealant.

Ok but is a polish abresive? I`m scared... :(

JaredPointer
03-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Ok but is a polish abresive? I`m scared... :(
Some polishes are, some polishes are not. A very mild abrasive polish would be something like Poorboy`s SSR1. That would work fairly well on a new car with minimal surface defects. It will also leave behind a great shine. Other non-abrasive polishes such as Adam`s Revive will also leave a nice look, but will not remove any type of swirling, webbing, etc.

Don`t be scared to use a polish. If you read the directions and use good technique, they won`t harm your paint. Good luck!

Patrick
03-11-2005, 11:23 AM
Although their both abrasive, polishes can do what clays cannot, and vice versa. Clay remove embedded contaminants, polishes remove more surface contamimants.....You really have to use both to have maximum benefits.....Cleaners are another "type" of polish, without abrasives, but there unable to remove light scratches and swirls.....

Nightwalker447
03-11-2005, 11:24 AM
I clay my 2003 Maxima about 2-6 times a year depending on what I am doing on it and have had no problems. I also compound it twice a year and the CC is just fine. Dont fear the clay at all. Just make sure that the surface is clean and you use lots of lube.

Nickc0844
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
A non-abrasive polish can still remove swirls and such. The more common abrasive is a mechanical abrasive like some that have been mentioned (that`s a whole other thread to start).

On paint cleaners, you help remove swirls with the abrasiveness of the pad you use. You`ll see a notable difference especially when using a PC and a foam polishing pad. Many auto painters strongly recommend a paint cleaner vs. a polish (w/abrasives) for newer paints, clear coated or non.

Hope that helps you out in your dilema.

klnyc
03-11-2005, 05:17 PM
I clay my 2003 Maxima about 2-6 times a year depending on what I am doing on it and have had no problems. I also compound it twice a year and the CC is just fine. Dont fear the clay at all. Just make sure that the surface is clean and you use lots of lube.

Yup that ^^^ I clayed my 1999 and 2004 Accord like 5-6 times a year. Dont worry about it...Go for it! clay the crap of it.