PDA

View Full Version : PC Question - After first use

drck1000
05-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Hello all. Just used my new PC 7336 this past weekend on the family van with excellent results. However, I have a come quick questions. First, when I was polishing, I noticed that the pad didn`t really rotate around very much. I was planning on using two different polishes on the same Edge 2000 pad, so I marked one side of the pad to differentiate it later on. When polishing, I noticed that the mark didn`t really spin around that much. I tried to keep the pad flat on the surface and basically just enough pressure to keep it flat and move the machine. The machine did try to pull in one direction, but I tried not to add any vertical pressure to the machine. I noticed that sometimes the pad spun around, but most times, it just sort of vibrated and the mark would rotate a little, stop, then rotate a little, then stop and so on. Is that normal? Again, I wasn`t using much pressure and tried to keep the pad flat. Not sure if the pad is supposed to spin around almost freely.

Second is that do most of you use the side handle? I seemed like if I used it, my hand got numb. If I used my right hand hear the power cord and my left on the "head" of the machine (where the pad attaches to) it seemed like my hand wouldn`t go numb and I could control the machine better. I`ve read on previous posts that most recommend using the handle when just starting out. But to me, it seemed easier to just hold on to the body of the machine with BOTH hands.

Also, do you clean the pad surface during the session, or do you just move to a next pad. I only did the hood, so that wasn`t a problem for me. If you start getting caked up with polish and some dust, do you just clean the pad with the nylon brush or should you use some kind of spray cleaner? Also, if that happens, are you using too much product?

Just some quick background. The vehicle is a 1999 Sienna van that sits outside 24/7. The paint is in pretty good condition and I noticed some very light marring on the hood and some light water spots. In an effort to try out the PC before using on the newer vehicles in the garage, I wanted my learning experience on an older vehicle.

Used a green Edge 2000 pad with IP and FPII. Started with FPII on about a quarter of the hood and got all of the light marring out and the light water spots. The middle of the hood has some scratches that looked like from a cat or something and that took too passes with IP to get rid of. My first pass was on speed 4 and I think kind of fast pace. The second pass was worked in at speed 5 and a slower pace. I tried to keep it about an inch per second. The vehicle is a lighter green and I felt that after working in the IP, that the finish was good enough that I didn`t follow up with FPII.

Next question is that I followed up with AIO and then applied IW. Did I need to apply AIO after polishing, or is the surface clean enough to move on to IW directly? I only polished the hood of the van, so I had to apply AIO to the rest of the vehicle anyways, so I applied AIO to the hood as well.

The last treatment this vehicle got was AIO and SG. Could the water spots have been confined to the LSP? The water spots came of pretty easily with the FPII.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase of a PC. I do look forward to using it more and getting more proficient in it`s use.

GeneralEclectic
05-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Nominally the pad doesn`t rotate much, if at all. I find the side handle difficult to use. I use a rubber glove (for enhanced grip) and hold the machine with one hand. How well this works for you probably depends on the amount of vibration you get with your choice of pad -- some of them are pretty far out of balance. PC needs to make a wider variety of counterweights available at smaller weight increments. If your pad is loading up, you`re using too much material and/or an inappropriate pad. You can usually remove the caked-up material with a small stiff brush.

imported_Chris223
05-30-2006, 05:36 PM
The pad isn`t supposed to move, it just oscillates at a speed that you can`t see. If you read the manual on the PC, it says it wont appear to be moving, and DEFFINATELY doesn`t "spin" that`s why it`s a "Dual action" polisher.

drck1000
05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Nominally the pad doesn`t rotate much, if at all. I find the side handle difficult to use. I use a rubber glove (for enhanced grip) and hold the machine with one hand. How well this works for you probably depends on the amount of vibration you get with your choice of pad -- some of them are pretty far out of balance. PC needs to make a wider variety of counterweights available at smaller weight increments. If your pad is loading up, you`re using too much material and/or an inappropriate pad. You can usually remove the caked-up material with a small stiff brush.

Thanks. I think I will try once more with the handle and see how it goes. But I have a feeling that I won`t be using it much. Besides, the unit will be easier to store without the handle.

drck1000
05-30-2006, 06:01 PM
The pad isn`t supposed to move, it just oscillates at a speed that you can`t see. If you read the manual on the PC, it says it wont appear to be moving, and DEFFINATELY doesn`t "spin" that`s why it`s a "Dual action" polisher.

I read the manual and yes, the pad does appear to be moving and I can definitely see the extent that it is moving in an orbital pattern and how the pad moves laterally at least a half an inch to either side. Also, with the mark that I placed on the pad, I can see that the pad does rotate to some extent.

Not meaning to be a wiseass or anything. If the pad "DEFINITELY" doesn`t spin, then explain how you can use the machine to spin-dry your pads to dry them? I understand that the PC is NOT a rotary or circular polisher that directly rotates the drive shaft, like a drill. Just because the PC is classified as a "Dual Action" polisher, does that mean that it doesn`t spin?

toml
05-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Thanks. I think I will try once more with the handle and see how it goes. But I have a feeling that I won`t be using it much. Besides, the unit will be easier to store without the handle.

Based on what Scottwax and Accumulator said in a past post (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37464) (see pages 1-2), I took the side handle off right from the start. Left hand on top of the PC to apply some pressure and the right hand around the body to guide it. Absolutely no problems.

I haven`t had to switch to a new pad on my Accord due to any caking problems with the polish ... but that might depend on the polish used, working conditions, etc. I`d say that if you see the pad getting caked up, you`re probably using too much polish.

Concerning AIO and IW, I haven`t used the exact combo (I have AIO and IW should be on the way soon), but the general drift I`ve gotten from being on this forum for more than a year now is that AIO under most any LSP is better than just the LSP itself. Why? I don`t have a good answer ... perhaps it`s because AIO leaves such a clean surface, leaves some protection itself, a combination of the two, or something else.

Sounds like you had a good first experience with your PC!!

drck1000
05-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Concerning AIO and IW, I haven`t used the exact combo (I have AIO and IW should be on the way soon), but the general drift I`ve gotten from being on this forum for more than a year now is that AIO under most any LSP is better than just the LSP itself. Why? I don`t have a good answer ... perhaps it`s because AIO leaves such a clean surface, leaves some protection itself, a combination of the two, or something else.

Sounds like you had a good first experience with your PC!!

Thanks.

Yes, I am a believer that AIO prep will help any LSP. I`ve noticed excellent durability with UPP where others have noted poor durability. I`m going on 8 weeks with strong beading. I would have to go back and check to be sure, but I believe most reported poor durability after applying UPP after polishing without an additional paint cleaner step. I mostly used AIO to remove any NXT that had remained and from the look of the car when I shot it down with water prewash, there wasn`t much left, if any.

It was a good experience with the PC. However, it will probably hurt in the time department as well as the pocket book as I try out different pads and polish combinations and find friends` vehicles to try things out on! Who`s my next victim. I also detail my car and my father`s SUV and those two have excellent paint as they are both under 18 months old.

toml
05-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Yes, I am a believer that AIO prep will help any LSP. I`ve noticed excellent durability with UPP where others have noted poor durability ... I believe most reported poor durability after applying UPP after polishing without an additional paint cleaner step.

There were many posts here recommending that UPP be preceded by AIO for maximum benefit. That was the first combo on my car!

It was a good experience with the PC. However, it will probably hurt in the time department as well as the pocket book as I try out different pads and polish combinations and find friends` vehicles to try things out on!

You`ll find no lack of recommendations concerning polishes here, and your wallet can definitely take a hit if you act on each one. I started with Megs #80, got samples of #83 and SSR 2.5 because I needed a more abrasive polish, and then settled on Optimum`s Polish and Compound due to their lack of dusting, long workability, and sun-friendly nature. Others will have different favorites. Do your research, perhaps see if you can trade for some samples first, and your wallet will thank you.

drck1000
05-30-2006, 07:35 PM
There were many posts here recommending that UPP be preceded by AIO for maximum benefit. That was the first combo on my car!

It was the first combo that I tried on my car as well. Love the way that it makes the metallic flakes in silver stand out.

You`ll find no lack of recommendations concerning polishes here, and your wallet can definitely take a hit if you act on each one. I started with Megs #80, got samples of #83 and SSR 2.5 because I needed a more abrasive polish, and then settled on Optimum`s Polish and Compound due to their lack of dusting, long workability, and sun-friendly nature. Others will have different favorites. Do your research, perhaps see if you can trade for some samples first, and your wallet will thank you.

Too late. Already have OP and OC on it`s way with additional pads :2thumbs: