PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where I went wrong cleaning tires...

Quik89si
05-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I got some of the NXT Tire Cleaner, which is supposed to be foamed on and rinsed off, and the tires are "supposed" to come out black, as they are when new.

I did two applications of the cleaner, agitating both times with the Meg`s tire brush, and rinsing off with the hose, and they`re still brown. I can`t figure out why, but I`m thinking it may be because the tires were wet when I applied it (the foam slid down the tires) and I may not have let it sit long enough...

...or is it just that brown tires will never REALLY be black again?

Thanks!

Alex

VWdriver
05-29-2006, 09:53 PM
When you wiped it with a towel was the towel brown?

JasonD
05-29-2006, 09:57 PM
How old are the tires?

Quik89si
05-29-2006, 10:20 PM
Never wiped it with a towel...the instructions said to let the foam sit on the tire for 1 to 2 mins, which I did, and to agitate if desired/necessary, which again, I did - using a tire brush. The tire brush did seem to have some brown to it afterward...

The tires are about 9 months old...

Alex

JohnZ3MC
05-29-2006, 10:25 PM
My guess is the NXT cleaner just isn`t cleaning off the brown crud. I wish I lived closer because I`d like to try my Hi-Temp rubber cleaner and see if it melts off that brown stuff on yours like it did on my tires and the wife`s tires. The stuff is so good (and cheap) I`m going to get another gallon from Top of the Line when I run out.

Lately I`ve been running across the street and cleaning just one of my neighbour`s tires.

-John C.

Driven-528e
05-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Lately I`ve been running across the street and cleaning just one of my neighbour`s tires.

Haha, thats awesome! I think we`ve all had that temptation. Kinda inconsiderate to only do one though! :)

Krautfed 03
05-30-2006, 07:06 AM
Funny, I use PoorBoys Bold n Bright on my tires, and they always are brown after a large rain, or a wash. I wonder if it has something to do with the product being water based?? Both of my vehicles are less than 1 year old.

Shelbrain
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
I use the Tire Cleaner from TOL and I was just amazed at how much *crap* oozed out of the sidewalls after I sprayed it on. I use it every other wash and then follow up with Poorboy`s Bold n Bright.

autobahn
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
I`ve got a burning question...

What about ajax on a really dirty tire? Obviously you`d be careful not to get it on the wheels... Good idea or bad idea? Father says that`s what they always used back in the day... But a lot of people did a lot of stupid things back in the day, like using turtle wax ;)

imported_Chris223
05-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Shel... do you have to dilute the tire cleaner at all? Or you just stick it in a spray bottle and spray it on/hose it off? I`ve been using Eagle One All Wheel and Tire cleaner, if you`ve ever used it how does it compare?

VWdriver
05-30-2006, 10:41 AM
When I had my old tires with horribly dusting brake pads no cleaner would get the tires clean unless I wiped it with a towel afterwords...you may want to try doing that as many times as needed.

imported_Blake
05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I use BoldnBrite and have seen no "browning". Only browning I ever got was from AA. I think some tire compounds may be more prone to this problem than others.

Joshua312
05-30-2006, 11:44 AM
If you are looking for a product to clean your tires and replace what you`re using now. You might want to look into Amazing Roll Off - You can dilute it so much and it still works wonders..its not even funny. I use it on tires, wheels, wheel wells, everything. I have 3 gallons sitting in my closet, I love the stuff!

Matt M, PA
05-30-2006, 12:04 PM
I`ll go out on a limb here......

My understanding was that once tires turn brown, that the "carbon" that makes them black...and also protects them from UV....is gone. Most often, it`s the result of using a silicone or petrochemical based "protectant".

Excellent tire info here":

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=378

GeneralEclectic
05-30-2006, 02:50 PM
I don`t understand all this tire-washing alchemy. I use Dawn and a brush. They range in age from 1 to 7 y/o but they all look like new. Maybe they`ve never turned `brown` because I`ve never used any tire `treatment` since I think shiny tires look ridiculous.