PDA

View Full Version : washing applicator pads?

Andrewc-c
05-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Is it safe to wash applicator pads? I`ved used washed some cheap turtle wax applicator pads that I used with Megs scratch X, AIO, SG, Nattys Blue and reused them on my car and now I have some holograms showing.

Is this because it`s not wise to reuse app pads? Or is it from poor technique?

I don`t have a PC but can I get the holograms out with scratch X and with a better applicator pad or what?

Thanks for the help

Evenflow
05-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Washing your PC pads is perfectly safe. I was my microfiber towels as well and they come out looking brand new. I also wash my ClearKote applicator pads.

RCBuddha
05-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Your talking about the little, round foam applicators right? I just throw mine in with my "general duty" MF towels into the washing machine. Hot wash, double rinse. They come out fine for me!

imported_Chris223
05-30-2006, 08:47 AM
I throw my Sonus SFX Pro applicators into the wash... of course I rinse them out really good first. Did one guy here say washing your Porter Cable pads in the washing machine is ok? I always thought it wasn`t? But I`d love to know, as I have a SFX pad kit on its way to my house as I type and wondering what in the world I should do to clean them.

Zakko
05-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Your talking about the little, round foam applicators right? I just throw mine in with my "general duty" MF towels into the washing machine. Hot wash, double rinse. They come out fine for me!

I thought you shouldn`t be washing any MF towel with anything but cold/cold in the washer and air dry or tumble dry drying. The MF `fiber` is a synthetic which will be altered by high heat and won`t be as effective/paint safe.

RCBuddha
05-30-2006, 12:12 PM
I thought you shouldn`t be washing any MF towel with anything but cold/cold in the washer and air dry or tumble dry drying. The MF `fiber` is a synthetic which will be altered by high heat and won`t be as effective/paint safe.

From this thread: http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66601

You can use hot water guys. In fact, hot water is best as it allows the detergent to better lift contaminants. There is no household hot water so hot as to cause any damage, in fact, boiling water won`t hurt your towels.

Yep, hot water all the time, no damage.

From this thread: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11619&highlight=Washing+MF

Well here is the thing about using hot water... hot water simply cleans better, period.

Look at it this way, waxes and polishes as well as most all the chemicals and cleaners and degreasers we use on our vehicles are not water soluble. If polish and wax were water soluble they would rinse off on the first rainy day and offer no protection.

Since they are not water soluble try to picture these waxes, polishes, etc, adhered in a dried state to the fibers of your towels. Now cold water will simply allow them to remain in a solid state and not completely wash off. Hot water, however, allows them to soften and loosen from the threads and allows the detergent to act as it should and lift the contaminants from the fabric.

It`s not rocket science guys, it`s laundry!