PDA

View Full Version : spray vs Pen vs bottle (for paint chips)

vortex-5
05-29-2006, 09:05 AM
If the wise here would kindly tell me for bigger chips that are already evened out by wetsanding (basically feels flat to the touch and finger nail can`t catch)

Would it be better to buy paint in a spray can? I used to paint my RC hobby car with this method and I found it works quite well but in that situation you paint the underside not the side that`s exposed.

For medium chips 1mm - 2mm in diameter which solution works best?

and for small chips 1mm and below?

I only ask because like many I`m fed up with OEM paint and I`m deciding to get what`s billed as a professional premixed can of basecoat and one of clearcoat but as usual I want to find out from the ever knowledgable crew at autopia if this is "all hype"

Eagerly await all comments :-)

vortex-5
05-29-2006, 09:17 AM
Sorry forgot to mention:

Is there a difference when making this selection for metallics vs non-metallics?

(I assume the answer is yes but might be helpful for others)

vortex-5
05-30-2006, 07:01 AM
no opinions on the matter?

Accumulator
05-30-2006, 07:48 AM
For stuff that small I`d use a small artist`s brush. Maybe a size 0 or even smaller. I have a bunch of them from 1 to 0000 and they`re my usual choice. If I ever get my BMW back from the shop that`s how I`m gonna do its chips (it`s metallic).

For something bigger you could get an airbrush, but for some reason I`m leery of taking one of those to my cars, even though I`ve used one a lot in the past (for plastic models).

Metallics are *really* hard to match, but spraying with an airbrush would probably make for better results. But as I said, I haven`t tried it and the brush is quick and straight-forward.

I wouldn`t expect a spray can to work very well for such small repairs.

Flat-6
05-30-2006, 08:02 AM
I have used small syringes, like those used for diabetics etc. I just fill with a bit of the touch up paint sold at the dealer in one of those bottles with the brush applicator. Then you can fill really small chips level full, I get much better results using this method than a brush of any size. I dont really know how to get your hands on syringes (my wife is a nurse) but if you can they are a great tool.