PDA

View Full Version : Baby Oil on Cloth Seats

Beemerboy
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
I`ve got a truck coming up this weekend that someone spilled baby oil on the seats and its stained them.

The guy has tried every cleaner that he can think of with no luck.

I`ve not got allot of ideas about what to do, other than my extractor and I`m not sure that`s going to work.

Beemerboy
03-11-2005, 11:01 AM
WOW almost 50 people have looked at this and no answers, HEY a little help here

JaredPointer
03-11-2005, 11:17 AM
I`ll take a wild guess....maybe you could try the Oxi clean method? Or would a degreaser be too harsh (dilute it maybe???) ??? Sorry Beemer, that`s all I can think of. Hope you do get it out.

Beemerboy
03-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Thanks

I had the same thoughts too you want to degrease before lifting what is there. I`m not sure if there is a special product other than degreaser that would lift it.

Big Leegr
03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
I`d contact a company like Johnson and Johnson (who make the stuff) and see if they have a ready answer.

Basically, all I can think of is if it were still damp (for future reference, as it seems that your particular stain will be dried already), use corn starch to absorb as much as possible, then use a degreaser or solvent. I think baby oil is just mineral oil and fragrance. ( :dunno could be wrong).

mgm2003
03-11-2005, 11:51 AM
The result of a hot date? Just kidding.... I`d try to Oxi mix method too for starters.

Beemerboy
03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
OK

I called Steve @ Poorboys World to talk about an upcoming order and he said Woolite mixed 50/50 should break it up and then lift with a shop vac. I know what you want to do is break up the oil then lift that way no residue would stick to the fibers.

I`ve not tried it yet but will this weekend and will try and post results

DFTowel
03-12-2005, 11:47 AM
You saw the seats are stained? I think just breaking it up and removing the rest of the oil may not be enough. Here`s a thought, bring it to a good dry cleaner and ask them what they would recommend using. Go to a dry cleaner who actually does the work on premises and ask someone who really knows about the chemicals and stain removal, not the girl behind the counter.

You may even find that it may be best to remove the seat cover and have it dry cleaned.

JaredPointer
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey Beemer -

How did it turn out? Did you get the stain out?

Beemerboy
03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Well the seat came out looking great you could see the oil break up and the woolite hit it, on one area it was pretty bad so I went full strenght and that was what it took seems. Then the shop vac and the water in the vac was almost all oil and had that baby oil small. I dried the seat in the open air and the seat seemed to look all the same, I asked the customer to let me know if the stain returns as he gets back to using it.

Poorboy
03-14-2005, 10:16 AM
another happy ending:) :lol

JaredPointer
03-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Way to go! Glad to hear it worked out like you wanted.

ndnguy
03-14-2005, 01:51 PM
This is why I love DC so much! You learn and learn and learn so much from here. It has become my favorite forum to write and read in.