PDA

View Full Version : Removing insect marks from windshield

mihilc
05-29-2006, 01:31 AM
I know, the theory says that those insect marks will come off with clay. Well, It didn`t work. Any ideeas? It didn`t come off also with solvent. Maybe vinegar? Help.

Ed Fisher
05-29-2006, 02:51 AM
Did you try ammonia based glass cleaners ? Sometimes household stuff work fine... Avoid bodywork though...

mihilc
05-29-2006, 05:54 AM
I didn`t try it because I couldn`t find here. Only alcool based. Anything else?

grampi
05-29-2006, 06:25 AM
Get one of those sponges covered with nylon netting. Use that for the intial cleaning which will remove all the bug chunks. Dry the windshield. Lay a dry paper towel on the windshield and soak it with a genrous amount of Rain-X. This will clean ANYTHING off the wind shield. It takes a good deal of wiping to get the Rain-X residue off the windshield, but when you`ve finished, it will be absolutely beautiful!

mihilc
05-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Aha! I will. But wouldn`t those sponge scratch my windshield? INstead of Rain-X? Can I use something else?

grampi
05-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Aha! I will. But wouldn`t those sponge scratch my windshield? INstead of Rain-X? Can I use something else?

Not unless you have some kind of soft glass that`s not normally found in vehicles. I use them all the time and they`ve never scratched my windsheild. What do you have against Rain-X? Why not give it a try. Nothing else seems to be working for you. You were asking for suggestions.

mihilc
05-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Yes :), I don`t have anything against Rain-X, I`m quite curious how it works, but It is not available in my country.

grampi
05-29-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes :), I don`t have anything against Rain-X, I`m quite curious how it works, but It is not available in my country.

I`m sure you could mail order some.

Brian_Brice
05-29-2006, 09:05 AM
what clay do you use i use 4* fine on every dirty windshield i touch and works great.

mihilc
05-30-2006, 09:37 AM
I used Clay Magic blue. But right now I`m not sure if the spots are from insects. Could them be some very small chips? I tryed to use some bug and insect remover without any change.

I could use some metal polish? Autosol?

Brian_Brice
05-30-2006, 02:44 PM
yeah i know what youre talking about most likely theyre chips and they really make a complete job look like crap, ive never used some of these window pollishes but you might wanna ask around and see what will remove em.

GeneralEclectic
05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Isn`t clay pretty expensive to use on windows? BonAmi works like a charm on glass and is dirt cheap. Won`t scratch and easily removes all foreign material with minimal effort. The only thing is that it`s a mild abrasive and you have to be careful to wash it off completely with plenty of water.

ScubaStevo
05-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Rasor works good.