PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a QD

JasonD
05-28-2006, 08:19 PM
First, this is going to be specifically for my motorcycle. I`m looking for a waterless wash/QD type product to use after each ride. I usually get a few bugs, lots of fingerprint smudges, dust, etc. and have been using a product by PRO called Wipeout. Now that my gallon of wipeout is about gone, I`d like to find something to replace it that is a little bit more "up to date". Whatever I get will have to be available in gallon size because three of us will be using it, and we ride a lot which means we also clean a lot. It also has to be safe to use on all surfaces like plastic, chrome, glass, paint, rubber, etc. because I am going to use it on every part of the bike, wheels included. Extended durability really doesn`t matter due to the fact that it will be applied multiple times per week, but lubricity will be extremely important for obvious reasons.

I found this interesting product by CG`s. Anyone use it yet?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/URLrewrite.asp?404;http://64.49.225.2:80/product_p/wac_116.htm&Redirected=Y

For a little while I was using OCW as a qd, but that gets expensive, so I went back to my wipeout. Anyway, I`m open to all suggestions.

natebood
05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Have you tried Poorboys Spray and Wipe? It wont offer any added protection but it`s a great waterless wash QD.

JasonD
05-28-2006, 09:02 PM
No, I haven`t tried that product but I`m looking for something that will add as much shine as possible, and also a little protection. It sounds like S&W is a good waterless wash, but how is it when used as a stand alone product?

Solo Cali
05-28-2006, 10:12 PM
#425...........

imported_Amused
05-28-2006, 10:49 PM
i`m assuming you meant all parts of the bike except the tires, right?

2 products come to mind, clearKote quik shine and opt no rinse(qd dilution). quik shine looks better (imo), but obviously opt no rinse will last you longer. both have good lubricity, but i`m sure you already knew that.

natebood
05-28-2006, 10:50 PM
In that case, I`d go with the FK #425 as solo cali suggested. S&W is just a cleaner QD.

Personally, I use S&W and then follow up with 425.

ronmart
05-28-2006, 11:00 PM
First, this is going to be specifically for my motorcycle. I`m looking for a waterless wash/QD type product to use after each ride. I usually get a few bugs, lots of fingerprint smudges, dust, etc. and have been using a product by PRO called Wipeout. Now that my gallon of wipeout is about gone, I`d like to find something to replace it that is a little bit more "up to date". Whatever I get will have to be available in gallon size because three of us will be using it, and we ride a lot which means we also clean a lot. It also has to be safe to use on all surfaces like plastic, chrome, glass, paint, rubber, etc. because I am going to use it on every part of the bike, wheels included. Extended durability really doesn`t matter due to the fact that it will be applied multiple times per week, but lubricity will be extremely important for obvious reasons.

I found this interesting product by CG`s. Anyone use it yet?

http://www.chemicalguys.com/URLrewrite.asp?404;http://64.49.225.2:80/product_p/wac_116.htm&Redirected=Y

For a little while I was using OCW as a qd, but that gets expensive, so I went back to my wipeout. Anyway, I`m open to all suggestions.

Meguairs QD is decent, but my personal favorite is Griots Garage Speed Shine. It doesn`t smear or streak and smells good to boot. I use it when claying too.

banana4yah
05-28-2006, 11:14 PM
You can make your own cleaning QD using Optimum No Rinse Wash. Just add 6oz per gallon of distilled water and but it in a spray bottle. I am extremely please with this product. I had some bird bombs on the side of my car, and when I gave it a few sprays, it literally melted and slid off the car. Very cost efficient product. Favorite QD/Waterless wash.

I haven`t used it, but the CG`s Pro-Detailer+Carnauba is more suited as a waterless wash than Synthetic Slick.

Sherman8r44
05-29-2006, 06:09 AM
IMO few QD`s have cleaning ability up to par with Chemical Guys Pro Detailer and Speed Wipe. I have used all three of the CG QD`s, and I compared them in this thread (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70698).

TGates
05-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Jason, I use Honda Polish on my bike after EVERY ride (it`s black and shows all the dust and bugs). I have found the best way to curb the effects of bugs is to keep a fresh layer of either wax or sealant on the bike, especially the front surfaces (mirrors, headlight, front fender, front of the gas tank, etc.) I use the green ultra fine Sonus clay to remove stubborn bugs (this stuff won`t remove your LSP if you`re gentle with it).

If you`re going to be using said product on your `Busa, and you really want something available in gallon sizes, I`d look into Poorboy`s S&W. It doesn`t add much, if any, protection (certainly not enough to use it alone) but it only takes 10 minutes to do a complete wax job on a bike, so if you keep a fresh layer on and maintain it with S&W you`ll be good to go.

Wasatch
05-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Try FK1 146, 425, or QuickShine.

wannafbody
05-29-2006, 08:09 AM
QEW in a spray bottle-roughly 3 caps per bottle

RCBuddha
05-29-2006, 08:26 AM
Any of the CG Qd`s are good, I like the speedwipe myself.

JasonD
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Excellent suggestions guys. I really appreciate it. They all sound like great products, now all I have to do is decide as to which one to go with!!

AL-53
05-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Try the Duragloss...Fast clean and shine...#921

Is formulated to remove dust and light soil from painted surfaces without scratching or removing durable polishes. Actually bonds with the polish for added gloss and durability.

not a bad QD then top it with Aquawax....

both are very nice products and can be had at some auto stores like Napa..or carquest..and a few others ..also ordered from the site for 4.95 shipping...

the Duragloss line is very overlooked and under rated..but are outstanding products..very durable...in the Klasse range for durabilty...and work just as described....it will beat most products hands down

Al