PDA

View Full Version : What to use on exterior trim

Pages : [1] 2

00GREENMACHINE
03-09-2005, 10:47 PM
My Passat has a grey exterior trim at the bottom of the car and it goes around the bottom of the entire car. I ues Mothers back to black but i dont really think it needs it. Its not faded.

probegt
03-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I like Adams VRT and Megs GC trim Detailer and #38. They all look great on exterior trim.

audiboy
03-10-2005, 12:07 AM
i use poorboy`s trim restorer and i love it. it works really well and is very easy to use.

Volks_Jetta
03-10-2005, 02:44 AM
Have you tried 303? It works great on my car..

JaredPointer
03-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Another vote for Adam`s VRT. It is one versatile dressing.

05SilverTRD
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
I love Adams VRT. It gives the trim a dark, but not too shiney look. Just apply it and then wipe it after about 10 minutes. I have never had any streaking with it at all. It is not greasy so it does not attract any dirt or dust. Really great stuff.

Usta HaveA Hemi
03-10-2005, 10:48 AM
I was going to go with 303 because they suggest it for my Line-X. Would VRT work the same?

Thanks! Usta

CharlesW
03-10-2005, 11:29 AM
I was going to go with 303 because they suggest it for my Line-X. Would VRT work the same?

Thanks! Usta303 is one of my favorite products, but.... Be sure you use it correctly. If it is not buffed completely off, it will wash off the exterior trim and leave streaks of the 303 residue.
Too many people just wipe it on and leave it. It looks good, but believe it or not, it lasts better the more you buff it with a dry towel.

FWIW, I only use it on the interior and tires.

Charles

mynci
03-10-2005, 12:16 PM
You might want to consider using AIO, and even a non-staining sealant for more durability, on trim like that. I`ve used SG and UPP over AIO on plastic trim and got good results and durability.

TW85
03-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Do you have AIO and a sealant that does not stain (SG, UPP for example)? If so, forget the trim dressings that are nothing but a hassle and carry AIO and the sealant onto the trim. I have been doing this for months with excellent results.

waxon
03-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I use AIO and a sealant, and it works great!

Way2SSlow
03-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Last time I did my sister`s Jetta, I used Adams In&Out Detail Spray on the gray trim on the very bottom of the car. It worked very well. It`s easy to apply because it`s aerosol (just watch your aim, and you should be ok). I really liked the look, and it lasted a pretty long time.

Mark Waldron
03-10-2005, 04:30 PM
Stoners Trim Shine in the aerosol can is the fastest, most effective exterior dressing I have ever used. I`ve used 303, Lustre All, AIO, Armor All, and still think the Stoner Trim Shine is the fastest and easiest product to apply and it will last a lot longer than the other products I mentioned. I spray it on and wipe it off. It`s that simple.

truzoom
03-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Second that, but I`ve had problems where in rain the residue would run off the side of my bed and leave streaks, and I even applied it with a terry towel. I found that 303 seems a bit too glossy, so now I use Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber protectant.

Mark Waldron
03-10-2005, 04:58 PM
I remember reading a post where a person applies the Trim Shine before washing his car, then he washes the car as normal, and loves the look , etc. Maybe that would eliminate some of that streaking your talking about. I clean my truck so frequently that I haven`t noticed the streaking you mentioned. After a good rain, I`ll wipe the entire truck down. I`ve been called anal before and this is probably one of the reasons why. :)