PDA

View Full Version : Products that do not live up to the hype?

Pages : [1] 2

shortspark
05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
We often talk here of the many wonderful detailing products available to us these days. Almost everything from the major lines such as FK, PoorBoys, Sonus, Klasse, Wolfgang, Jeff Werkstats, etc. are pretty top notch. Without stepping on any toes (if possible), are there any products out there that don`t live up to the hype? That are poor values? Or that you thought would be great but just plain disappointed you?

01bluecls
05-27-2006, 06:20 PM
I believe there have been a lot of threads regarding this, but I guess it doesn`t hurt to refresh every once in while. I haven`t tried very many new products lately as Im trying to use up what i have. The one product that I feel doesnt do much for me is Optimum Car Wax (spray). I bought it under the assumption from everyone`s words that it could be used as a stand alone LSP to provide roughly a 1-2 month protection. Honestly just using to it on my vehicle and my gf`s vehicle several times befoe I find it is just a "stronger" QD. No way do I see it being a stand alone LSP. Maybe this is just my expierence or I expecting too much but oh well. I mean it does provide a good "look" to the finish but Im not seeing the protective qualities being much different from a QD.

wannafbody
05-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I know I`m in the minority but S100 did not live up to the hype. I used it over Collinite 845 and saw no improvement. Maybe it just doesn`t work as well on Navy Blue Mettallic

victory
05-27-2006, 06:47 PM
I know I`m in the minority but S100 did not live up to the hype. I used it over Collinite 845 and saw no improvement. Maybe it just doesn`t work as well on Navy Blue Mettallic

Maybe it`s just because 845 is a much better looking wax than people give it credit for. That`s just one mans opinion :D

SilverLexus
05-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Most of the Megs line like NXT does not really perform well in my experience-I find their microfiber to be of low quality after the first two washes. I`ve not been very impressed with EX-P although I like Poorboys line a lot. I was undewhelmed by several of the Menzerna polishes.

I favor the boutique brands a lot but I always like to find OTC products like EO Tire Swipes, FX Tire Shine, EO soap, Mother`s soap, and EO All Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

RAG
05-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Generally speaking, I`m not a big fan of steamers. I spent $1200 on a steamer and hardly ever use it because it doesn`t do as good as my hot water extractor on capets and on seats, etc. I can get cleaner with a good brush and cleaner.

BigAl3
05-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Most of the Megs line like NXT does not really perform well in my experience-I find their microfiber to be of low quality after the first two washes.

I favor the boutique brands a lot but I always like to find OTC products like EO Tire Swipes, FX Tire Shine, EO soap, Mother`s soap, and EO All Wheel & Tire Cleaner.

:werd: :up

Sherman8r44
05-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Thread 1 (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48952) and Thread 2 (http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50845) on the subject.

IMO Lexol is the single most overrated product out there.

Pennypacker
05-27-2006, 07:59 PM
I know a lot of people like them, but the Menzerna IP and FP polishes did absolutely nothing for the swirls in my vw paint...and I tried for hours and hours, using every pad and method imaginable.

RCBuddha
05-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I know a lot of people like them, but the Menzerna IP and FP polishes did absolutely nothing for the swirls in my vw paint...and I tried for hours and hours, using every pad and method imaginable.

Really? Via PC or rotary? I didn`t like Menzerna via PC, but with the Cyclo and Rotary, the results were much better.

jvriii1942
05-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Rejex they compare it to Zaino. I still don`t use Zaino either but have. The Rejex in my experience was hard to remove and didn`t live past the first wash. I`m going to put it next to the bottle of Nu-Finish in my dad`s shed.

Optimum Polish let me down for removing swirls it claims to remove 1500 grit marks. It has given me good results on paint that doesn`t need correction.

Lexol is ok but I have to agree with Sherman I am looking for something better. I apologize for recomending it in the past.

I can do this for day`s. I guess this is what happens when every product is the best ever and every detailer is the best in the world. How about gloryfied car washers being over rated.

Pennypacker
05-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Really? Via PC or rotary? I didn`t like Menzerna via PC, but with the Cyclo and Rotary, the results were much better.

Sorry, I should have qualified that I used PC only.

imported_steveo3002
05-28-2006, 03:46 AM
Maybe it`s just because 845 is a much better looking wax than people give it credit for. That`s just one mans opinion :D

yeah i agree..i think collinite is under estimated

for me poorboys trim restore did live up to its name...its about the worst trim dressing ive ever used on my cars :bawling:

tomee
05-28-2006, 04:13 AM
yeah i agree..i think collinite is under estimated

for me poorboys trim restore did live up to its name...its about the worst trim dressing ive ever used on my cars :bawling:

why is trim restorer soo bad?

for me, not soo much hype, but i tried megs no smear glass cleaner, after using it, my windows became hazy when driving at night.

even with the bottle saying anti-haze

imported_steveo3002
05-28-2006, 05:04 AM
why is trim restorer soo bad?

it did nothing for my trims...20 mins later it looked like it had evaporated ? tried several heavy coats with no succes :think: i either got a dud bottle or its not suited my vw plastic :nervous: