PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn water spots and etching

redterminator
05-27-2006, 03:32 PM
I just got the PC and ordered some pads from excedetail. I have an 04 Acural TL and for a while now I`ve noticed semi-etched water spots on my roof. I figured if I go with the Yellow pad and SSR2, that should take care of business. Well so far I have no luck. I`ve tried going at speed 6 and the water spots are still there. They almost looke like they`re etched but I can feel them with my fingers. I`m not sure if my technique is wrong or not using a strong enough polish. But all I have right now are the Yellow, Green and Gray pad, SSR2, Blackfire polish and sealant. Do you guys think it`s possible to get these spots out with this equipment.

I tried to take a picture but they are too fine, camera can`t focus on them.

RAG
05-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Water spot etching varies in depth and severity from situation to situation. You could use a grinder on some water spots and not get them out...at least not without removing all your paint.

Definitely step up in aggrssiveness with a stronger polish...try SSR 2.5 or Meguiars #83 DACP. A PC will do everything a rotary will do...it will just take a LOT longer. Don`t be afraid to apply a bunch of pressure with the PC...say 20-30 lbs. Of course you will have to use your SSR 2 with softer polishing pad after you use 2.5 or #83 with the Yellow.

redterminator
05-27-2006, 08:55 PM
I have applied a lot of pressure and must`ve gone over the same spot a dozen times to no avail. One of the reasons I got a PC is to get better quality faster, but it seems that I`m not getting any better results. I wonder if there are products that are made for these sort of spots to be used with the PC. I don`t really want to spend an hour buffing the same spot.

Five Star
05-27-2006, 09:18 PM
here is a starting point for you.. depending on the severity of the spots, just experiment.

unless we physically inspect it, we can`t tell you what will fix it.

start with the least aggresive method first

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-paint-polish-clinic.html