PDA

View Full Version : A new way to apply Zymol Estate Waxes???

Pages : [1] 2

DM101
05-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I was using the Concours Glaze and using the WOWO method. This is the only method that Zymol reccomends. But then I got the idea to mist a little cold water on the area then use by hand. Wow, this made a huge difference on the ease of application. I just hope it bonded to the paint cause that stuff cost a Kings Ransome! COMMENTS???

DM101
05-30-2006, 10:06 AM
No comments?????

lbls1
05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
How did it work?? Hmm that`s interesting. I have a lot of comments, but before I share them, I want to know how your finish came out. Can you post pics?

There shouldn`t be any bonding issues with straight water. I like misting water on the finish after I buffed all of the haze out, to add to the sharpness of the wax finish (my version of a final buff technique).

This is a first...I want to hear more! Did you have hazing afterwards?? Did you notice a difference from the first coating with the recommended technique?

Let me ask again...you say you put cold mist water on the surface and then applied the wax? Or did you spray a mist on the layered wax haze, and then buff off?? Curious...

Accumulator
05-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Unless I`m missing something, this is a classic example of spit-shining only without the multiple layers. Though I have no experience with the Zymol Estate stuff (that`s no experience *yet* lbls1 ;) ) I`d be surprised if this did *not* work as well with these products as it does with any other wax.

Mikeyc
05-31-2006, 08:59 AM
I`m confused as well. Are you spraying the cold water on before or after you apply the wax? After you apply the wax I would say is a-OK. However, the guy who first introduced my to Zymol told me it`s HIGHLY hydrophobic (hates water). He always advised me to make sure the car is 100% dry or the wax would not bond properly.

DM101
05-31-2006, 01:19 PM
I applied a mist of cool water on the surface and then hand apply the wax into the paint. It seems to be bonding. I then wipe it off with MF. It drys so quick without the mist method. There is NO hazing at all. It works really well.

lbls1
05-31-2006, 08:03 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaallright. Zymol is a pure wax that repels water. I am afraid that if you misted the surface with water, and then applied the EGZymol, that there might be a bonding issue. It is believable, if this in fact is what you did, that the EGZ was a breeze to take off, because all or most of it may have come off onto your towel.

EGZymols can be a little bit tough in working off, that is why I like to use three buffing towels, to settle the wax haze in stages. The wax membrane has to be applied and "stretched" with the buffing, so it is crucial that the wax bonds to the surface. After the wax is applied, then yes you can mist the surface, and then take your very clean finishing mf and settle the mist in (that is the cherry on the proverbial cake when it comes to working with waxes IMO.........the finish will be extremely sharp afterwards).

............or at least this is what I think.

Still waiting on you Accumulator. I am a patient person...lol!!

Accumulator
06-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Still waiting on you Accumulator. I am a patient person...lol!!

Heh heh, you`d better have the patience of a chopping block (as the song goes) ;) Neither the RX-7 or the XJS will be getting waxed for months :o Besides the Jag getting its paintwork, the RX-7 is a *long*-term project; I just spend an hour or two on it when the urge strikes, the last 6-8 hours or so were spent on the driver`s side of the engine compartment, if that gives you and idea of how I`m doing it. Cleaning off 21 year`s worth of [stuff] is no picnic, despite the low miles. I don`t care if it takes a year or more to get done...I`m funny about those two cars.

Back on-topic, the possible durability issues (and any other differences) oughta be easy enough to test. Just do adjacent panels with each of the two methods and compare them.

lbls1
06-01-2006, 07:21 PM
ahh bummer. The time will come though....and I`ll still be waitin`. Heck while we`re all a waitin` and stuff, no better time to crack open a can of (beer) I mean a jar of zymol and spread in on just for fun....not a bad idea, though a bit expensive just for having fun. We`ll see. I don`t blame you...I can be a bit particular when it comes to my cars as well.

DM101
06-02-2006, 08:57 AM
I did a side by side test with Zymol est. wax and mist the finish first. Looks like most went on the buffing towel. Then Z Est. with no mist. None one the buffing towel. I guess since Z is natural waxes carnuba and a bunch of other waxes in won`t spit shine. There is little solvent Zymol. But other waxes spit shine very well. SO I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION......NO MIX WITH WATER WHEN APPLYING.

Accumulator
06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
I did a side by side test [and]...I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION......NO MIX WITH WATER WHEN APPLYING.

:xyxthumbs for doing a good objective test and proving it for/to yourself.

lbls1- Heh heh, yeah, *some* day I`ll be ready to do `em. The XJS is scheduled to be one of the Jags on display at the Glenmoor Gathering show in Sept., but with all the endless delays that keep cropping up it looks like it`ll have to be there in a fresh-paint-safe glaze :(

lbls1
06-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes....no mixing with the EGZ`s!! Misting afterwards is all you will need. You will also find (if you haven`t seen it yet) that the finish fights the misting.....your towel will end up getting wet by absorbing the misted water, but it also serves as a tightening buff for the finish. That`s another reason (the bonding) that I also suggest to go easy on the qd`s, as I would start doing them after every third coat, and if you get up to let`s say 8 or 9 (sunglasses suggested), then every other coat until its time to re-clean. As long as the paint is dry you shouldn`t have a problem. Now that we`ve gotten our little bug figured out, I want to see what your surface looks like in a little while as well.

So it looks like you will be hitting the show circuit Accumulator!?! Impressive. If that`s the case...........what would a concours event be..........without Zymol lol!?!

But I guess the little complications are annoying. I want to see pics anyways!!

Let`s see..who else am I waiting for............oh yes Animes2k!!!!! He`s been quiet.

Accumulator
06-03-2006, 09:55 AM
So it looks like you will be hitting the show circuit Accumulator!?! Impressive..

Sorry, I wan`t clear :o The Glenmoor thing is just a display-only (no judging) exhibition that the show`s organizers had approached the Jaguar Club of Ohio about. Since I`m a Glenmoor (Country Club) member, and the XJS *is* concours-worthy, it was sorta a no-brainer that it be one of the cars on display.

When it comes to actually entering a concours, it just doesn`t appeal to me. Drive a long distance, figure out how to reclean the car without marring it, spend a whole day or more there (wondering if somebody`s gonna touch the car)...just not my idea of how to spend time and I don`t like people around my "good" cars. Which drives my Jag mechanic (chief judge of JCO) absolutely crazy. I`m not even happy about having the XJS at Glenmoor, I just know some idiot is gonna touch it.

DM101
06-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I am not going to wait and put 8 or 9 coats of Concours on my car to get a good finish. It`s three strikes and your out! I`ll go back to Pin. Sourveran in a heartbeat!

lbls1
06-03-2006, 02:45 PM
So, lets see what it looks like! Compare the depth of reflection between the two brands, and not just the sheen. That criteria will tell you which wax is working.