PDA

View Full Version : carpet cleaning

webstrive
05-26-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi,

I tried cleaning carpet yesterday with a scrub brush, some diluted PB APC (10:1). (First I vacumed thoroughly from central-vac.)

I follwed scrubbing by wiping up soap (with towels) and using a wet vac (ridgid vac from home depot, its 3.5 HP)

It worked ok to get most dirt out, but I could still feel some soap residue afterwards.

How do you get all the soap out, maybe my vac isn`t powerful enough? Maybe I used too much soap as well?

How much soap/APC would you go through on average sized cars with moderate amount of dirt on carpets. Better yet, how much soap would you use, for say, a 2 x 2 ft area.

Accumulator
05-26-2006, 10:02 AM
I can`t say how much detergent I`d use, but it wouldn`t be too much and I`d use something that rinses out easily (carpet extractor shampoo or Charlies soap). I usually do a clear water rinse after shampooing just to avoid what you`re dealing with.

Sounds like you used too much cleaner and/or need to do a "rinse cycle". Add hot water, work it as if it were detergent, and extract that out with your wet/dry vac. Don`t use so much water that you really saturate the carpet/backing and really press down on the vac`s nozzle so you get the water out.

Nitax
05-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Maybe try spraying the carpet with a spray bottle full of water and extract with a shop vac... Its easy to go overboard with soap, but if you dont get it all out it will absorb dirt and your carpets will get dirtier quicker...

Zack

jdhutchin
05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, just keep spraying water in and sucking it out until you don`t feel any more soap residue. That`s basically what a carpet extractor does, and the spraying water part is what makes it different from a wet/dry vac.