PDA

View Full Version : This soda stain has me stumped.

Pages : [1] 2

602rwtq
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7636/gs300orange3mk.jpg

I tried red stain remover:

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/vinylpro.safeshopper.com/images/bm0hc2ju.jpg

After brushing the stain remover into the stain and allowing it to sit for 5 minutes, I dropped a damp towel on the area and followed with a heating iron. The stain came out 80%, but not enough that I could rightly bill the customer for my work.

Should I be heating through a dry towel?

Envious Eric
05-25-2006, 11:08 PM
is that stuff a dedicated carpet cleaner....i have found that stain removers in general are only so good, but dedicated carpet cleaners are much better....

also, hit up your local 99 cent store and try some of the cheap crap....for some reason, one stain in a friends truck wouldnt come up, but we tried some old stuff i had lying around and it lifted with two dressings....IDK, cheap is good in some cases...lol

natebood
05-26-2006, 12:42 AM
You could always pick up some Folex from a local store and try pre treating with that. I`ve got some, but haven`t had a chance to use it yet. A lot of people swear by it.

Scottwax
05-26-2006, 09:22 AM
Sometimes you just come across stains that can`t be removed. Often the customer has already tried to remove it themselves and end up setting the stain.

Jordan@DD
05-26-2006, 09:57 AM
Sometimes the only solution is carpet dye.

Who wants to guess what car that is? I`m guessing a VW jetta?

stilez
05-26-2006, 11:33 AM
Make a potent Oxi-Clean mix.

If that doesn`t work, try a light dilution of bleach.

Be sure to rinse when done.

gmblack3
05-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I got a gallon of folex today at HD for $16. Man this stuff works great on carpets. Not sure if it will work on your stain.

twitch
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Who wants to guess what car that is? I`m guessing a VW jetta?

Nah it`s definitely a Lexus GS300.

doged
05-26-2006, 02:47 PM
It’s the season for soda cans to explode in cars. I got a call the other day about this very thing and explained to the lady, it would be $95.00. Basically you have to treat and steam the entire car. Folex or 303 and steam!!!

Envious Eric
05-26-2006, 03:31 PM
steam may help to emulsify the sugars and dye in the soda itself making it easier to wipe up....give that a shot!

imported_mirrorfinishman
05-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Sometimes you just come across stains that can`t be removed.

The experience that Scottwax has gained through years of detailing shows that he knows what he is talking about. Some stains such as grape or orange soda just cannot be removed once the stain is set.

It is simply amazing how something like a coffee stain can be completely removed with plain water, while other stains just set into the material and there is basically nothing that can be done to completely remove the stain once it is set.

602rwtq
05-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Nah it`s definitely a Lexus GS300.

Ding ding ding! Nice work: It`s an `05 GS300.

I did try my vapor steamer through microfiber towels with no success.

GeneralEclectic
05-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I`ve taken out some very bad stains (coke, tea, tomato, red wine, blood, emesis, other miscellaneous bodily fluids) with Tide HE laundry detergent. Clean it with water first to remove loose stuff and all other chemicals that can kill the enzymes, then pat dry. Apply the Tide full strength and let set for at least an hour, more is better, overnight is perfect, covered with a piece of plastic wrap to keep it moist. In addiiton to having some advanced detergents, the Tide has "enzymes" that have the ability to "eat" all manner of stains, including stains that chlorine bleach won`t touch. Use an extractor with clean cool water to pull out the Tide. The only downside to using the Tide is that in many cases with old carpeting it will leave a clean spot that makes the rest of it look bad. Depending on the state of the carpeting, you might have to plan ahead for that and treat a larger area. Alternatively if you have time, you could test on a small spot to see whether it`s going to work or not. Make sure you find the "HE" type detergent because it has the most enzymes and it`s very low sudsing, making extraction quicker.

RCBuddha
05-27-2006, 02:58 PM
I`d second the folex and steam. That should take out the stain. Let us know how it goes!

salty
05-31-2006, 01:37 AM
Most orange and red pop stains are permanent, if they set-up. The pop being acid and containing dye, etch the fibres. This is the same way they dye most carpets +heat.

If you can clean it before it is set, it should come out.

A friend of mine`s son spilled orange pop on a seat in his Caravan. He brought the seat to me after a couple months. I told him that it wouldn`t come out, but shampooed it and it came right out. The difference was it was winter and he had taken it out and put it in his cold garage. The stain was dry but not set.