PDA

View Full Version : Best 15 dollar wax test

Pages : [1] 2

MBurnickas
05-25-2006, 01:50 PM
From watching this Forum I would say that Natty`s and GPEC seam to be the most popular waxes. So I thought I would test them against each other. I am also very interested in Collinite and Pink so I think I`ll try those next. I figured I would have a final test of the two waxes I liked best from each prospective test. I`m seriously looking for the most durable 15 dollar wax that also doesn`t compramise looks. This isn`t a wax bible or anything but these are my findings from test 1. It has been 3.5 weeks since I applied GPEC to the Drivers side and Natty`s to the passenger. I used GPEC paint cleanser by PC on the whole car after washing.

Ease of use: Both products are extremely easy to use and are not a problem around trim, but Natty`s gets the edge because of the killer smell it is funner to use.

Look and feel: Natty`s has a darker look I prefer (slightly more) and is a very Slick surface. GPEC has more of a "shell" to it, feels more like a wax and Natty`s feels more like an oil. GPEC has a very deep look too, it just doesn`t darken anything. I know this isn`t been new information to a lot of you but the big suprise for me was durablity.

Durabilty: I have NOT washed the car since and in 3.5 weeks the GPEC side still looks and feel like the day I applied it. The Natty`s side still has some protection but it is starting to squeek to the touch and I have no doubt it is close to failing. I am anxious to see the results of the next test but I`m going to wait and see how long it takes for GPEC to fail. After I wash I will probably be rewaxing the Natty`s side.

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19852&cat=500&ppuser=27603

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=19851&size=big&ppuser=27603

atticdog
05-25-2006, 02:05 PM
thanks for the review

by gepc do you mean s100 wax?

MBurnickas
05-25-2006, 02:11 PM
by gepc do you mean s100 wax?

Yup. Also interested if anyone has other 15 dollar waxes I should consider. By the time I finish they will all probably be 20 bucks, lol.

E-Jag
05-25-2006, 02:40 PM
I posted a similar inquiry a few minutes ago - should have looked first. I`m interested in who produces S100 and how it`s wet look compares to Battys Blue. Thinking of buying one or the other for appearance and topping it with 845IW to seal the look in. I`m a huge fan of IW but from what I read it isn`t as wet looking as NB or S100.

E-Jag

Z K
05-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Not exactly in the $15 range but I`ve had good results with Pinnacle Signature.

Deep, nice shine. It`s not very durable and only lasts me 3-4 weeks at most and it costs $40. Is Nattys and S100 more durable as a topper?

Big Leegr
05-26-2006, 07:07 AM
I`m interested in who produces S100

It`s imported by "Brookside Import Specialties" of Branford CT. It`s considered a "Smartparts product."

You can get S100 at Harley Davidson dealerships.

wytstang
05-26-2006, 08:11 AM
If you can find some #16 that would be a good durability tester right thur......

Driven-528e
05-26-2006, 08:13 AM
My personal `under $15 wax` favorite is Collinite IW. Durability put it over the top, but the look is automatically great on light cars and, with a glaze underneath, looks fanatastic on dark cars too!

SB_92_MX5
05-26-2006, 09:24 AM
My current favorite is IW topped with Aquawax by Duragloss. I am extremely impressed with the durability of the IW and the pop of the Aquawax.

Scottwax
05-26-2006, 09:30 AM
If you can find some #16 that would be a good durability tester right thur......

Yep. Defintely my favorite wax in that price catagory.

imported_Blake
05-26-2006, 09:36 AM
IW and #16 both are great on durability. Natty`s Blue is fantastic for appearance and unless it is winter I`m looking for appearance. If you want durability you shouldn`t be looking to a carnauba wax. But then again that`s another story.

It is fun to experiment and compare.

victory
05-26-2006, 10:32 AM
just went through m first rainstorm with Collinite IW on the car. Amazing stuff. stopped raining and by the time i got home the car was clean and dry.

stilez
05-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Wash it three times and report back. Most carnaubas become "unstable" after 3 car shampoo washes. Their properties begin to break down as does beading.

MBurnickas
05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
If you want durability you shouldn`t be looking to a carnauba wax.

It is fun but the main reason I`m looking for a wax is because my Truck`s paint has never been taking care of and it`s in real bad shape. There is very little CC left, the pads are grey after compounding, meaning I`m polishing away the valuable CC with every pass. I probably will have it repainted in a few years but I want to preserve what’s there so I can address more important things like the motor and tranny. I know if I want it to look good I`m going to have to use a good glaze or compound that has fillers, thus that`s why I`m personally looking for a wax. As for 16, I`d rather test products that aren`t discontinued, have the guys at megs re-released #16?

This is the paint..The grey part is the hood after it was washed and clayed! The black part is after IP and a yellow pad. I just bought the truck for 1500 bucks, so it`s going to take some work, but what I loved is that there is no rust under it.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/imag00101.jpg

MBurnickas
05-26-2006, 11:01 PM
If you want durability you shouldn`t be looking to a carnauba wax.

It is fun but the main reason I`m looking for a wax is because my Truck`s paint has never been taking care of and it`s in real bad shape. There is very little CC left, the pads are grey after compounding, meaning I`m polishing away the valuable CC with every pass. I probably will have it repainted in a few years but I want to preserve what’s there so I can address more important things like the motor and tranny. I know if I want it to look good I`m going to have to use a good glaze or compound that has fillers, thus that`s why I`m personally looking for a wax. As for 16, I`d rather test products that aren`t discontinued, have the guys at megs re-released #16?

This is the paint..The grey part is the hood after it was washed and clayed! That isn`t dirt it is swirls on top of swirls and oxidation. The black part is after IP and a yellow pad. I just bought the truck for 1500 bucks, so it`s going to take some work, but what I loved is that there is no rust under it.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/imag00101.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/imag00111.jpg