PDA

View Full Version : What would you use?

roybiggens
05-25-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have a nighthawk black pearl 06 Acura TL that`s about 3 months old. If you aren`t familiar with the color it`s a black base coat with blue pearl mixed in. I`m currently using a combo of AIO + SG + P21S, this worked great on my previous car which was metallic gray.

However, on the black pearl this combo ljust ooks a little too "soft" to me with no real pop. AIO + SG looks pretty good on it so I`ve thought about just using that combo, but I`d like to hear some recommendations from some of you guys with more experience.

Just in case it matters I prepped with SFX-2 and SFX paintwork cleanser by PC prior to the AIO application.

Thanks

s2skimon
05-25-2006, 06:53 AM
I would use a rotary, a good compound, a good light polish and then a good sealant

95% prep

5% product

RAG
05-25-2006, 07:19 AM
Second that notion. I just did a Honda with the same color yesterday...it was in bad shape so I compounded twice then polished. Before I started, you couldn`t see the blue flake due to scratching. I used FMJ topped with P21S.

Next time I`d try Souveran for maximum depth...if that`s what you are looking for. But prep is the key as Tumbler pointed out.

Setec Astronomy
05-25-2006, 07:35 AM
I dunno....you`re bucking the conventional wisdom that SG doesn`t look good on dark cars, that you need a carnauba to make it look good. But, as suggested, perhaps your black car needs a little more prep than your previous lighter car.

roybiggens
05-25-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the reply guys, the paint is in excellent shape with no swirls or surface marring especially since it`s only 3 months old and I`ve been very careful with my washing and QD.

What little swirls were present when new were taken out pretty easily with the SFX2 and AIO by PC.

I may just stick with the SG as the LSP unless there`s a common consensus that another sealant gives more shine.

pt91
05-25-2006, 02:04 PM
I have the same color on an 06 honda.

So far I have used Menz FMJ/HGAS which really brought out the blue flake. Some asked if my paint was midnight blue. It is a nice combo.

For the past few months it has been covered in Finish Kare 2180/Pink Wax/FX-100/FK 425. I am enjoying the finish kare products but it is a very different look. The color is almost a flat, deep black. Yes the flake is hidden a bit but I really like the ability to change the appearance back and forth. I actually prefer flat black to metallic black.

Next I think I will try WG and see what happens. Then I will try UPP. Sooner or later I will get to some CMW or souveran.

marko
05-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I have this color, too. I`ve been playing around with RMG and VM under 845IW and natty`s blue. also FX-100 and 425. variations on a theme of amazingly reflective and wet.

Wasatch
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
What you got going now is very good. If you want to try something else try the Werkstatt Twins.

imported_themightytimmah
05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
First I`d go over it again with SFX3 or another really mild (but still abrasive) polish. After that, UPP is a real winner as far as bringing flake out. If you want a good look with a little less flake, FK1 Pink Wax is a great product. And as always, if you want the ultimate "wet black" look with a little cut down on the flake, go for Souveran.