PDA

View Full Version : What about this formula for a dark blue car?

mr_bertone
05-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Hallo

I am planning to do my first large detailing on my dark blue Volvo 780 Turbo. After reading many hours on this great forum I have spent my money on the following iteams that I intend to use. What do you think about my recipe?

1. Wash

2. Clay

3. Menzerna IP

4. Menzerna FP

5. RMG

6. Poorboys EX-P

7. Nattys bluex2

I really need advice about this formula. Is it good or is there something missing. All advice are welcome.

Best regards

Thord Häggglund, Stockholm

92MX83
05-24-2006, 04:52 AM
Not sure if the EX-P will have bonding issues with the RMG. EX w/ Carnauba might have been a better choice over RMG. Regardless, it should still look dynamite when done.

EMazda3S
05-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Looks good but as stated above, EX-P is a sealant and it really needs an oil free surface to properly bond. Consider using a PoorBoys polish in place of RMG. Steve from PB`s says the EX-P will bond over his polishes or just skip the RMG. I think you`ll have an awesome look and great protection without it. Alternatively, you can use RMG and go straight to the Natty`s. That should look great on the dark blue and be fine with a re-wax every 4-6 weeks for continued protection and looks.

Lastly, another combination to consider is to stay with Menzerna. They have a glaze that works in conjunction with their products. You can use Menzerna FMJ as your LSP and apply their glaze in place of the RMG.

Eric

DM101
05-24-2006, 06:35 AM
Leave out the EX-P. EX-P is an Amino Functional Resin. It really is not compatable with the natty`s blue. I see not benifit of EX-P. If you want a sealant on there use FMJ, or Aio after polishing then RMG then your Natty`s. Be sure you wait for the FMJ or AIO to cure brfore adding RMG and Natty`s..........Me I`d just skip the EX-P and you will have a awesome finish. mho rewax every 4 weeks w/Natty`s

TGates
05-24-2006, 06:41 AM
I`m sorry, but EX-P and Natty`s Blue are completely compatible together. I wouldn`t try to layer EX-P OVER NB, but using NB over EX-P is just fine. Several people here at Autopia have used EX-P over VM and RMG with either no or minor bonding issues. I have never used it personally because I prefer to use a sealant over a bare surface, and then either top with carnauba or not.

I would skip the EX-P as well, and just use the RMG/NB combo, or skip the RMG and use EX-P/NB if you`re looking for more durability.

DM101
05-24-2006, 06:49 AM
My bad but I would not use a polymer sealant with a wax. I either stick to all polymer/ acrylic sealant products or all wax products.

"I`m sorry, but EX-P and Natty`s Blue are completely compatible together. I wouldn`t try to layer EX-P OVER NB, but using NB over EX-P is just fine. Several people here at Autopia have used EX-P over VM and RMG with either no or minor bonding issues. I have never used it personally because I prefer to use a sealant over a bare surface, and then either top with carnauba or not."

TGates
05-24-2006, 06:56 AM
My bad but I would not use a polymer sealant with a wax. I either stick to all polymer/ acrylic sealant products or all wax products.

And there`s nothing wrong with that at all, I`m the same way some times, just depends on the mood. The problem is how do you know if a product is ALL polymer or ALL acrylic or has a little wax in it? I personally find it best to mix and match and try different products until a suitable combination is found for your specific application :getdown

DM101
05-24-2006, 07:02 AM
Your exactly right. Some "polymer sealants" do have wax in them and that would make them compatable.

And there`s nothing wrong with that at all, I`m the same way some times, just depends on the mood. The problem is how do you know if a product is ALL polymer or ALL acrylic or has a little wax in it? I personally find it best to mix and match and try different products until a suitable combination is found for your specific application :getdown

SpoiledMan
05-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Several people here at Autopia have used EX-P over VM and RMG with either no or minor bonding issues. I have never used it personally because I prefer to use a sealant over a bare surface, and then either top with carnauba or not.

If you wash with QEW or ONRWS then it appears to hold up. With a regular wash soap and bucket, two weeks if you`re lucky.

mr_bertone
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Hallo everyone

Thanks very much for all the good answers that was given. I have already applied IP, FP and RMG. In other words I will skip EX-P. If I should lay another layer of FP can I than use EX-P? A nother question I have is how I should apply The nattys pastewax? I really need help with this. The paint looks really nice after RMG.

Best regards

Thord

SpoiledMan
05-24-2006, 09:49 AM
FP is for polishing the paint to a high gloss. If it is already glossy and swirl free, there is no need for a second application of FP. Natty`s should be applied as you would any wax. Nice and thin!

mr_bertone
05-24-2006, 09:52 AM
FP is for polishing the paint to a high gloss. If it is already glossy and swirl free, there is no need for a second application of FP. Natty`s should be applied as you would any wax. Nice and thin!

Can I remove the layer of RMG by using a new layer of FP? If I do that I can use EX-P and then Nattys. What should I do? Should I skip this and go straight to Nattys?

Thord

SpoiledMan
05-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes you could do that or just go straight to Natty`s from where you are now. Do a small section each way and see how you like each.